MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What makes MyBB different from other boards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd say thousands.
According to this forum review site: http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comp...vs-xenforo MyBB has over 495 plug-ins.

I read somewhere on this site, however, that many plug-ins broke with the latest version of MyBB. Being new to all of this, I am not sure of the facts but I suspect this may be true. Nevertheless, I'm liking MyBB very much. I just hope that MyBB doesn't keep losing core developers and die off like so many great scripts before it.
I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than that, but then again it's just a guess.

The plugins didn't just magically "break". Most of them will work if you change the compatibility line. A select few, however, require some more editing. It's pretty logic anyway, old code isn't just gonna work with the newest version. You need to update it.
(2011-08-31, 03:18 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]Have you ever used vBulletin 3? MyBB is as simple/powerful as vBulletin...
The only drawbacks that you will face are:
- Lack of plugins & themes
- Slow development cycle

Otherwise MyBB is the best of all the Open Source forum softwares Smile

I will not comment on the lack of plugins and themes part as I feel that is relative, I feel MyBB has a strong portfolio of plugins and themes and an even stronger community that is willing to take up any customization that is not already available but like I said, its relative, whats enough for me might not be enough for someone else, to each their own.

I do however, have a problem with anyone stating that MyBB has a slow development cycle. That is just not true. MyBB has had a steady 2-3 month release cycle with updates to security issues being released within 24-48 hours after first being reported. 1.6 was released August 2010 and today an year later we are at 1.6.4 with 1.6.5 just round the corner, thats 4-5 releases in an year in addition to also keeping 1.4 updated with security issues as well as working on the upcoming 2.0. I hardly call that slow considering it is an open source project worked on voluntarily at their own free time.

(2011-08-31, 07:12 PM)forumstudent Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-31, 03:18 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]The only drawbacks that you will face are:
- Slow development cycle

Well, I agree it is excellent open source forum software...but I am concerned about future development since the blog mentioned the loss of a couple of the main coders/developers from the MyBB team.

Also, I thought MyBB did in fact have a lot of plug ins - or was that for previous versions of MyBB?

(2011-08-31, 08:14 PM)forumstudent Wrote: [ -> ]According to this forum review site: http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comp...vs-xenforo MyBB has over 495 plug-ins.

I read somewhere on this site, however, that many plug-ins broke with the latest version of MyBB. Being new to all of this, I am not sure of the facts but I suspect this may be true. Nevertheless, I'm liking MyBB very much. I just hope that MyBB doesn't keep losing core developers and die off like so many great scripts before it.

You should read this blog post that briefly outlines where MyBB is and what to expect for the future. http://blog.mybb.com/2011/06/07/developing-the-future/

As is true with every project, developers come and go. We have had some developers leave because they could not give this project the time they once could and hence chose to step down. At the same time other developers have joined the team to continue on with the project and it seems to me that you are not taking that in to consideration, you are fixated on the fact that developers are leaving but not seeing the talent thats coming in.
http://community.mybb.com/showteam.php shows the current list of staff we have and you'll see that we have quite a handful of developers, not to mention the occasional contributions by members of the non-dev teams.

Roughly 90% of the plugins for 1.4 are compatible with 1.6 without making any changes (except changing the compatibility field for 1.6 to recognize them as 1.6 plugins)
There are a few that might have had problems but their developers have since been releasing updates to make them work properly on 1.6.
(2011-08-31, 03:18 AM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]Have you ever used vBulletin 3? MyBB is as simple/powerful as vBulletin...
The only drawbacks that you will face are:
- Slow development cycle

We aim for a new release each 3 months. Do you think that's slow?

And regarding the "lack of plugins", the plugin releases forum has 28 pages:
http://community.mybb.com/forum-102.html

That means about 560 plugins are available for MyBB 1.6 and that's not counting exclusive plugins which are available for a fee on 3rd party websites. I suspect there may be around 700 plugins available for MyBB 1.6 (counting free and paid plugins).
Pages: 1 2