MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Moderator Permission
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd like to see a new checkbox for moderator permission for "Can use Custom Tools".
...what are Custom tools?
(2011-09-03, 07:47 PM)PJGIH Wrote: [ -> ]...what are Custom tools?

I guess its a permission you can add yourself?
The custom tools available to moderators in the Moderators Options.

We use quite a few in these forums, for sending the denied support notice, answers to common problems, etc.
(2011-09-03, 07:53 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]The custom tools available to moderators in the Moderators Options.

We use quite a few in these forums, for sending the denied support notice, answers to common problems, etc.

Exactly. I use them a lot too. Having a nice option to allow/disallow the forum mods the use of these would imho be appropriate.

EDIT: I've just checked something and I'm going to report this as an official bug. If a forum moderator does not have permission to take thread actions such as "Can open/close and stick/unstick threads?" but a custom mod tool does have a stick/unstick option then they will NOT get a no permission error. In other words a forum mod can perform any action that's a custom tool despite permissions. This is why I'm suggestion the new permission check.
In regards to the suggestion, I think we can definitely throw it in the next update. New settings are always welcome, as they make the software more flexible. At least in my opinion. Smile
Did you read my EDIT update in last post? I'm reporting this as bug right now.

http://dev.mybb.com/issues/1718
I think that's arguable. An admin might want to disallow moderators from sticking threads, but allow them to use a custom moderator tool which closes, sticks and moves the thread. Probably not the best example, but I'm sure there are some cases where what I'm saying applies. I dunno which side makes the most sense though, so perhaps in addition to your suggested setting we could add another one which defines if permissions should override custom moderator tools or not.
(2011-09-03, 08:45 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: I've just checked something and I'm going to report this as an official bug. If a forum moderator does not have permission to take thread actions such as "Can open/close and stick/unstick threads?" but a custom mod tool does have a stick/unstick option then they will NOT get a no permission error. In other words a forum mod can perform any action that's a custom tool despite permissions. This is why I'm suggestion the new permission check.

I don't see this as a "bug", as different administrators may have a different point of view of how it is suppose to work (just as faviouz metioned).

Perhaps adding the new permission checkbox you mentioned in your first post can please all of us.
Might it be better to have permissions set on a Custom Tool basis instead? Just an idea.
Pages: 1 2