MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User login problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all. Since I upgraded to the latest release, my users are having a problem logging in. The results of the login show as successful but they are returned to the forums as a guest account. I've had that problem in the past and solved it by setting the cookie path but that hasn't been altered recently. Anyone else having issues with this?

By the way, this doesn't affect all users. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The problem happens on both IE and Firefox for affected users.

Oh, since we're on the subject, why isn't the cursor in the username field when one goes to the login screen? Is this intentional? It's somewhat of an annoyance to start typing and find nothing is going into the field.

edit: Was just investigating this on my own and noticed that this support forum doesn't appear to leave a cookie on my computer yet it remembers my username and password. What gives? I want that functionality on my own site.

Thanks. This is still a great bulletin board system.
Art Martin
Hello there,
Double check the cookie path and domain in your admin cp, use this tool to get a exact settings.

Moreover, Please try to clear your/there browser's cookies and try again.

regards
My bulletin board is at www.simulatingart.com/mybb

The settings are

Domain - simulatingart.com
Path - /mybb/

I also own the simulatingart.net domain. If I use that path your script returns:

Domain - simulatingart.net
Path - /mybb/

If I use the actual path to the site (the web hosting path of http://simulatingart.brinkster.net) I get

Domain - simulatingart.brinkster.net
Path - /mybb/

This last result is what's in my board settings.

Thanks,
Art
Try these settings:

Cookie-Domain: .simulatingart.brinkster.net
Cookie-Path: /mybb/
That's exactly what it's set for, even the starting ".". Of course, in my experimentation, I've now locked myself out of the boards after removing my own cookies in Firefox. Only way I can look at and edit board data now is through SQLMyadmin.

I think there's a basic bug in my system. I'm at a real loss here. This shouldn't be this difficult. Do I have a corrupted file that wasn't updated with the latest release?

Thanks,
Art
You should simplify access to your board to just one URL, for example, www.simulatingart.com/mybb, and have all the other URLs redirect to that one. That way, you can set the Board URL, and the Cookie settings to that one domain and not have to worry about the cookie settings on the other domains.
Hmm, I would've assumed the references to the bulletin board would be based on the the actual path set by the hosting service and not domain names that might change or go away. I'll try changing it to the .com domain and see what happens.

This is really getting frustrating. If I can't get this resolved in the near future, I'm going to have to find another BB system. I simply can't afford the down time like this. I've been reading historical posts on this same subject and to tell you the truth, I don't feel the answer has ever been adequately addressed. The others that have asked similar questions seem to just give up in their posts or they find some workaround to make it work for the moment.

Even in the past, when I've had similar problems I can't seem to pin down what I did to make it go away. I've tried a thousand things and then it seems to mysteriously fix itself. I'm really afraid that the system is just too sensitive to individual workstation and hosting site setups. You simply cannot place so much burden on the users or they'll simply go away or even worse, stop buying your product.

Please don't take this as a diss to your fine offering. I really want to stay with MyBB and love the vast majority of its features. I just think the methods you chose for user login are too easily broken and don't take into account the wide disparity of computers out there.

Why can my computer login perfectly to your board and not to my own? I've made every effort I could to stay up to date with all files and read every piece of info I could. My guess is the hosting service for our two websites is vastly different. I'm on a Windows server hosted by Brinkster and have no control over the internal settings of the site. There support staff seem to want to help but ultimately the problems are not theres to ensure the bulletin board works properly.

Sorry for the rant but it's been a very frustrating morning.

Art Martin
Just an update. Moving everything to the simulatingart.com domain seemed to work but here's why it was different. At work we are under Websense as an internet filtering tool and it seems their bots identified my .com site as a forum site which is blocked. However, they never found the site through the .net domain so I was free to continue looking at it by going in through that route. I found I could switch all references to the bulletin board to the .net extension and still login.

That option is no longer available. Obviously it's not your problem to change your software to fit my individual needs but I believe it's in the best interest of MyBB users to have some login options besides the cookie route. Lots of people I know disable cookies on their computer to keep out spyware. I just don't understand why, with software built around an SQL database, there needs to be only client-side tracking. Sure seems like all that info could be kept in the user table if the board administrator so choses.

Thanks again for all the help. You certainly got me past this problem and your response was very fast as always.

Art Martin
Quote:edit: Was just investigating this on my own and noticed that this support forum doesn't appear to leave a cookie on my computer yet it remembers my username and password.
I think you must be mistaken. Toungue

Quote:Lots of people I know disable cookies on their computer to keep out spyware.
Spyware can't get onto your PC through cookies. Wink The worst-case scenario is that cookies could be used to track some of your web activity. There are tons of sites that won't allow you to log in unless you accept their cookies, so I think disabling them completely is a bad idea.

Quote:I just don't understand why, with software built around an SQL database, there needs to be only client-side tracking.
What do you mean by tracking? In order to be logged in to a bulletin board, the client must provide the necessary authorization info. Otherwise, how would the board know who you are?

It seems that the issue here is that you want to be able to log in to your board using multiple domain names. Have you tried simply clearing the cookie domain setting? That should allow you to log in using any domain. I'm pretty sure MyBB supports a blank value for that. Smile