MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Don't require email verification when email changed in UserCP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's another suggestion to ignore.

Currently, when a user changes their email in the UserCP, email verification of the new address is required even if email verification is disabled.
I don't think email verification should be required if it's disabled (makes no sense that you can register with any email address, but need to verify changes).

The code change is very easy so shouldn't be difficult to implement.
I did not know that was the case, but it does make sense to NOT REQUIRE Email verification when Email verification is disabled.

After all, some of us, using free-hosting, don't have Email functions available to us. -- That's usually the only reason why anyone would want to deactivate the 'Email Confirmation' feature. We know it will never be sent. -- Therefore, any 'Verification Email', confirming any changes a user applies to their own profile/account, will never be sent to that member either, thus causing an unnecessary log-in issue for that previously approved & registered user.

What would be a good idea, IMHO, is a verification that a human is actually applying that change and not a 'smart bot'. A 1, 2 or even 3 level Q-n-A that only that user would know should confirm that user's ownership of that account. -- I think that would be better than any Email confirmation, once they've established a 'confirmed & approved' registered forum member account.

In other-words, they have never been banned and they're posts have never been 'moderated' or tagged since originally registering. The admin should get an automated PM (i.e. a duplicate of the Email sent) to be able to manually approve/disapprove/confirm that member's User-CP change(s).

Thanks for your consideration of all of the above.

"dcaduser"
(2011-09-04, 04:21 PM)dcaduser Wrote: [ -> ]After all, some of us, using free-hosting, don't have Email functions available to us. -- That's usually the only reason why anyone would want to deactivate the 'Email Confirmation' feature. We know it will never be sent. -- Therefore, any 'Verification Email', confirming any changes a user applies to their own profile/account, will never be sent to that member either, thus causing an unnecessary log-in issue for that previously approved & registered user.
Changing email doesn't cause the user to be deactivated. Just that the change doesn't go through until they've confirmed their new address.
Arguably this is probably not much of an issue on a host with no email, since none of the email functions will work anyway. Perhaps if the server does eventually get email capabilities, then the user needs to remember to change their address.

(2011-09-04, 04:21 PM)dcaduser Wrote: [ -> ]What would be a good idea, IMHO, is a verification that a human is actually applying that change and not a 'smart bot'. A 1, 2 or even 3 level Q-n-A that only that user would know should confirm that user's ownership of that account. -- I think that would be better than any Email confirmation, once they've established a 'confirmed & approved' registered forum member account.
Email verification isn't designed to stop bot registrations. It's designed to ensure that the email address the user specifies is valid.