MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Did you mean? "Search"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have one idea for Search system. I didn't saw any one before me sayed this.

So the idea is when someone type something in search system and there is no thread or post what did he searched, he get "Did you mean" search something similar like that (like on google).

This seach system is really annoying so i think this can be cool idea Smile
That would require a dictionary installed on the forum to check words. Also, it would give incorrect responses, and think of all the different langauges. Imo its a good idea, but much better as a plugin. Maybe an option to use the Google's CSE search instead of core?
There's just too much overhead with something like this, and it's definitely not needed at all for a forum search engine.
(2011-09-09, 09:28 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]There's just too much overhead with something like this, and it's definitely not needed at all for a forum search engine.

Agreed. Especially with built in spell checking with browsers now you should catch it before pressing enter and if you mess up just search again...
Google is god-like for searching. I don't even bother with using a forum's built-in searching tools in a lot of cases, as it doesn't turn up results as accurately as google does.

I know google has customized searches, but I think it'd be cool if they offered some sort of service which you could tie into your own post/thread database and apply google's methods.

Anyways, back on topic, although it'd be nice, I think it's a little much.
(2011-09-14, 02:54 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I know google has customized searches, but I think it'd be cool if they offered some sort of service which you could tie into your own post/thread database and apply google's methods.

simply replace the built-in search box with the Google site search box they offer. i believe that you can even do some basic skinning to make the output match. i would think that these days, they would have some sort of <div> and JS script that would let you use a custom page and have the JS insert the search results

System usage! , there should be a option for users who don't care about server usage. like
Spell check on search----> on / off .
Instant search----> on / off
(2011-09-14, 03:17 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-14, 02:54 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I know google has customized searches, but I think it'd be cool if they offered some sort of service which you could tie into your own post/thread database and apply google's methods.

simply replace the built-in search box with the Google site search box they offer. i believe that you can even do some basic skinning to make the output match. i would think that these days, they would have some sort of <div> and JS script that would let you use a custom page and have the JS insert the search results

Is it always up to date though?