MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using MySQL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I'm so young (14-years-old to be exact) I don't know how to use MySQL. I want to install my forums...but I don't know a thing on how to use MySQL. Can someone help me out. Thanks.
Do you have cPanel, etc?
My host says I can get a cPanel, but I don't have one at the moment.
What's your age got to do with it? I know lots of 14 year olds who make me feel stupid at PHP and MySQL Smile (not that I'm that good at it, just saying... If you wanna learn, age is no barrier).
Galen Wrote:What's your age got to do with it? I know lots of 14 year olds who make me feel stupid at PHP and MySQL Smile (not that I'm that good at it, just saying... If you wanna learn, age is no barrier).

I don't really know much about coding except for HTML and PHP. I wanna MySQL now. Big Grin
MySQL is easy but hard all at the same time.

www.w3schools.com has an entire section on it, I think you should consider looking at it. Smile
Azerty Wrote:Since I'm so young (14-years-old to be exact) I don't know how to use MySQL. I want to install my forums...but I don't know a thing on how to use MySQL. Can someone help me out. Thanks.

I learnt PHP and MySQL when I was about to turn 14. Age doesn't matters in programming! -- actually, you might be more enthusiastic at a younger age, but don't spoil the fun of that age coding as much as 22 hours, like I did. It's rather controversial if it matters a bit in designing though (creativity matters..).

Just grab few small tutorials on php/mysql. The key to learning is a goal! Pick up something you really want to write and start working on it. BTW, you can look at other open source codes time to time while learning -- you aren't stealing Big Grin
SQL is easy to learn, it's common sense really and a lot of the time, such as with MSSQL Server, and I believe theres something for MySQL now as well that can help you build your queries. Though being database administrator at my workplace, I tend to type my queries out as there are some things you have to write yourself that can't be produced via the GUI.

Though you can ask me most things about SQL as I've got an MCDBA for SQL Server 2000 Certification, in the process of upgrading that to a MCITP: Database Administrator for SQL Server 2005 as well as working on a MySQL 5 Developer certification.
Anything you virtually do in phpMyAdmin there will be a query generated for it at the top of every page.

That always helps me when it comes to SQL learning.