MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Calendar notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-09-21, 01:17 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Then maybe the goal is to improve the calendar and integrate it better into the forum software rather than axe it entirely?
If it improves significantly, then yes. However, if it's something that's going to take a lot of time to complete when the team could be focusing on the core, then I'd rather the calendar be removed.
(2011-09-21, 01:17 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Then maybe the goal is to improve the calendar and integrate it better into the forum software rather than axe it entirely?

Entirely agree. I'd rather have the calendar as a much-loved plugin by a group of users who value it, than have it as part of core and having to worry every update that it might not be there anymore. For groups that use the calendar a lot, losing it could be reason enough to drop MyBB, no exaggeration.

On the other hand, well developed as a quality plugin, the calendar could significantly add to the value MyBB offers to more communities than most people think.

Matt
I have deleted calendar.php from my server, IIRC. Haven't used it, if it gets some significant improvements, then I might at least upload to server again.
it depends on the forum niche. my main forum focuses on outdoor and offroad and there are many events and meetings that impact the sport. it is good information for the community to have as well as to support those site that are important as backlinks in the calendar entry.
I'd prefer it as an optional plug-in myself. It would be useful to me if it came with a way to easily add holidays or had holidays already in it, but since it doesn't, I disable it on every site I use MyBB and remove it from the navigation.
(2012-02-09, 03:56 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]it depends on the forum niche.

I absolutely agree with that statement. I was saying that I haven't used it yet. But I may in the future. I know there are lots of other niches that do use a calendar very often.
@Gamervoid you could easily use a calander for a gaming forum IMO. There are tournaments going on almost constantly now for esports games like SC2 and what not if you did want to use it.
(2012-02-09, 05:33 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]@Gamervoid you could easily use a calander for a gaming forum IMO. There are tournaments going on almost constantly now for esports games like SC2 and what not if you did want to use it.

That is what I was meaning. But at the moment, while I am trying to get my users and friends online again, it isn't needed YET. But I will in the future.

Now you could say that I am shooting my other post down, but I don't quite think so. I fully agree that the calendar needs some upgrades. Notifications may be one as the web turns social, but it would more than likely be better as a plugin because notification systems by nature tend to cause extra server load. Some hosts have somewhat tight restrictions on resources.

To sum it up in 2 lines:
I will use the calendar in the future. Notifications are an intriguing idea, but will likely increase server load if it is realtime. It is likely that not everyone would need the notifications and this extra load, so notifications may be better as a plugin.
i second all the peeps who are backing the calendar up. in the forum i'm making it'll be useful!! so what if other forums don't have it. mybb is winning in the best free forums category at that forum voting place because it's not just like other forums. it's rad ^_^
What about a personal calendar, that always appears on the right or left side of my forums, for example the users can add tasks that they have to do someday, it would notify them when that day arrives.

It's better than a GLOBAL calendar right?
Pages: 1 2 3