MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: We need to have a talk.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2011-10-01, 02:42 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-01, 01:15 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-30, 07:11 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Tomm, that's the thing. Labrocca is right in that sense then. It's where it starts to break down, is when you have two very different purposes, and still have to look offical.

He is. We have neither the capacity nor ability to provide both services equally at the moment.

Have you guys thought about recruiting a community manager? While the rest of the team deals with the actual development, he could deal with the forums.

Thats essentially a dedicated moderator. Which (not official here, just my thought) we'll avoid for the same reasons we've avoided a dedicated moderation team. That is however something on the agenda for the team meeting.
(2011-10-01, 02:44 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-01, 02:42 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-01, 01:15 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-30, 07:11 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Tomm, that's the thing. Labrocca is right in that sense then. It's where it starts to break down, is when you have two very different purposes, and still have to look offical.

He is. We have neither the capacity nor ability to provide both services equally at the moment.

Have you guys thought about recruiting a community manager? While the rest of the team deals with the actual development, he could deal with the forums.

Thats essentially a dedicated moderator. Which (not official here, just my thought) we'll avoid for the same reasons we've avoided a dedicated moderation team. That is however something on the agenda for the team meeting.

Well, really i think that should be your choice, archeiving GD wouldn't be that bad.
What's GD stand for in this instance?
the discussion of topics known to that of the general public

aka general discussion
(2011-10-01, 02:44 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Thats essentially a dedicated moderator. Which (not official here, just my thought) we'll avoid for the same reasons we've avoided a dedicated moderation team. That is however something on the agenda for the team meeting.

I thought that's what the PR Liaisons were for?
I was going to mention that as well Scouttie but I figured it may have more to do with controlling mybb's image on other sites.
They usually just create the blog announcements AFAICT. I guess the might have a bigger part back stage.
What about 1$usd for the right to be able to access in the mybb community? Support is optional, just right to access the forum.

That will eliminate a portion of the kids, IMO, haha

Just a idea though.
Well i'm all for have a more Active PR person, but i don't think that will solve all the problems we have here. You'd have to get someone who really only has 10-12 hours a day to do things. This is why the concept of a forum team (Theorectically) is better. But as it conflicts with the ideals of the MyBB group, it's not feasible still.
(2011-10-01, 05:22 AM)Sama34 Wrote: [ -> ]What about 1$usd for the right to be able to access in the mybb community? Support is optional, just right to access the forum.

While I would quickly pay a dollar or more I don't see it as a possible solution Toungue.
If we ever do, which im not too sure we will, get a moderation team, we should ensure they are all from different timezones. Too many times we see spammers and flamers creating and replying to threads, with maybe 3 or 4 hours before a moderator gets onto the thread an closes/prunes it.

I'm a big fan of GD, simply because (when it works well) it brings the community together. I have made a few friends here, and only really began doing any kind of development for mybb after getting to know a few people in the GD section. Without it I would have moved on and provided nothing at all to the community. The GD section invites people to stick around even if they arent asking for support at that exact given moment. People learn from each other, and eventually get to a point where they need no support.

If we just had a support section, the kids would have no reason to learnr, no reason to get to know the community. I know a few of the staff personally (over MSN) outside of MyBB, that I would never have know outside of the support sections.

I agree, the forum moderation needs to step up. We have more members than ever and we're really becoming quite popular. But that job should not be one for the Dev's or even really for the support staff. It should be for community managers and moderators.

Moderators should be the ones pruning posts, closing topics etc.. If they get flamed for doing so, the community manager steps in and issues a ban/warning.

Support staff should be the ones who dedicate all of their time to support. Yes, they can moderate support threads (and retain their board wide moderator priviledges), but that shouldn't be their main focus.

Wink Just my 2 cents Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14