MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change theme without losing everything.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm sick of this problem which occurs whenever I attempt to switch me themes. Right now I'm using the '8e' theme but I would like to switch to 'The Cure'. The only problem I'm receiving is that whenever I switch the themes I lose half of my plugins, the HTML codes screw up and even though the plugins are activated they don't work. This doesn't only happen with those themes but with any theme. I was wondering if there's a method of changing my theme without losing the HTML and the plugins screwing up.

I have Javascript codes attached to members usernames although whenever I switch themes the colours on the usernames never change, they just show up blue, the shoutbox vanishes and the tab forums no longer appear.

Need some help as soon as possible, thanks.
When a plugin is activated, the code is inserted into the current theme.

You need to either;

-Change the theme, deactivate then reactivate the plugins.

-Copy the variables from one theme to another
(2011-09-16, 04:56 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]When a plugin is activated, the code is inserted into the current theme.

You need to either;

-Change the theme, deactivate then reactivate the plugins.

-Copy the variables from one theme to another

I understand that I must deactivate and reactivate the plugins, I've done that numerous times although some of them don't work. How do I copy the variables from one theme to another? I bet it's a simple enough thing to do, I derp sometimes.. :3
It will be a pain, but you can either look through the code of the plugin and make the necessary changes manually on all of your themes, or you can go through each template of the theme that works and make sure all the template variables are copied into the new theme.

What exactly doesn't work when you switch themes and reactivate all the plugins?
Deactivate and re-activate the plugins. Most of the time (or almost all the time), it will work fine.
Some plugins might not work in that way. For them just find the code in old theme and copy it to new one.

For example if you use shoutbox plugin, it will have the code in index page templates, as shoutbox is shown only in index. Find its code in index template, usually something like {$shoutbox}. Copy it to your new theme in exact location. That will solve the issue.
Thanks guys, I'm going to attempt to use kavin's advice about the shoutbox. I'll get back to you if anything goes wrong or if I get it completely working.