MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: here we go again...need major help with everything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
last night wen i was about to give up on making a forum website for my clan as a whole...sum1 had offered to help but i guess he is busy so....im here asking for some major help on my website...the only thing i know how to do is upload mybb/mods/plugins/templates and pretty much thats it lol....ive tried countless times to learn all that php html talk with videos and tutorials on youtube and around the web but just cant get it...if sum1 who loves to create mybb websites would like to spare sum time to develop my website to where i can just MAINTAIN the darn thing and add pics or whatevers, i would be so happy...please any1 help me out...ill let u know exactly what i want done...hopefully not too much for u...
You don't really need to learn php and HTML unless you're considering creating your own pages and plugins although you should consider downloading something which gives you FTP access such as FileZilla. That's what I use, just upload everything to your main root directory and it should automatically sort itself out. If it doesn't then just correct install all files to the correct places using the ReadMe.txt files included with the plugins.
i know how to put mybb on my website....im doing that now...thats the easy part...what i want is if u look on top of pages they have buttons...the default mybb comes with buttons that read "search, members, calenders and help....what i want is to make my own buttons...i need like 6 or 7 pages...that i can edit myself...and i dont have a clue how to do it...so please if sum1 could help me do that...
(2011-09-17, 01:38 AM)bignewbie Wrote: [ -> ]i know how to put mybb on my website....im doing that now...thats the easy part...what i want is if u look on top of pages they have buttons...the default mybb comes with buttons that read "search, members, calenders and help....what i want is to make my own buttons...i need like 6 or 7 pages...that i can edit myself...and i dont have a clue how to do it...so please if sum1 could help me do that...
Check out this plugin: Page Manager.
You mean the quick link text up on the top of your website showing the homepage/index, forums, search etc. Commonly known as quick access pages, this can be done by going to the Admin Control Panel > Templates & Style > Templates > <click on theme in use> Click on Header templates > Click on Header. You should now see something similar to this which shows numerous lines:

<li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/misc.php?action=help">Help</a></li>

That shows Help and it should display on the top of my website. If you would like to edit and add your own then it's simple enough. Just create a new line and copy one of the original ones and paste a duplicate. Upon doing that you can edit the text to your like. Example: I'm going to create one which allows me quick access to my forums, this will be the template:

<li><a href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/forums.php?action=Forums">Forums</a></li>

Just edit the main text. Hopefully this is what you're talking about and I'm not typing out for the sake of nothing. It's self-explanatory although at the beginning it can be slightly frustrating.
thx for that....thats good 2 know and i just figured it out because of u...but....

for example... i want one button that says hall of fame....when people click on it they see a page that says something like welcome to bla bla bla so on and so forth...how would i do that?
(2011-09-17, 01:55 AM)bignewbie Wrote: [ -> ]thx for that....thats good 2 know and i just figured it out because of u...but....

for example... i want one button that says hall of fame....when people click on it they see a page that says something like welcome to bla bla bla so on and so forth...how would i do that?
Did you see my post?
ya i just got it...trying to install it now...if i need to do some kind of php or html thing then we're back at square one because i already said that i cant understand it...no matter how many tutorials and videos ive seen...ive spent the last 7 days straight trying to learn about it and it doesn't get through to me...but ill try again...