MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I really love mybb but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Over the years I have tried mybb and got rid of it for one reason.

Freaking spam.....
I have dealt with vbulletin for years. I don't get the spam...

Not like with mybb.
Somebody somewhere knows how to get around the login process or something.

Why don't you guys fix the spam issue?
I deleted 50,000 messages the other day.
My version was I believe 1.4
I am now running the latest version of this software. I woke up to 4 or 5 spammers on my board again.

My serious sites I use vbulletin.
I would love to be able to use mybb for all my sites. Even pay for the software. I can't afford to use vbulletin on all my sites.

why why why can't the spam issue be addressed over all other problems?
I don't mean to be rude. I just would like to see this fixed. I believe the spam problem is what separates this software from competing with vbulletin.
I really appreciate all of you guys work.

I also now have to activate each new user. Let me see if the spammers get around that. That is going to be a pain if I have to do that all the time
Why do you think there are countless anti spam plugins?? Seriously, if you would have searched before posting this, your problem would be solved.
I'm not here to argue. I want mybb to be the best out there. Security shouldn't be a plugin. It should be built in to the software. Now if you want a dancing monkey to jump across the screen that should be a plugin.
I have looked at the plugins.
It has nothing to do with 'security'. MyBB 1.6.5 will include Spam Ninga, a tool to deal/prevent/manage spam.

Until then, it's plugins or nothing.
I am running the latest version of mybb.
Which version of spam ninga do I need to add?
Spam Ninga isn't released yet. As I said before, it will be included in MyBB 1.6.5.
Spam is not a security issue just for reference. In less they spam a site that tries to steal login info anyway. But, there many plugins for this until 1.6.5 as Malcolm said. I don't see why you're mad that it requires them as I can't think of a forum that doesn't have anti-spam add-ons.
You need to test it with my site if you want to give it a good work out.
Spam's fairly easily combated. Spam ninja will be good when it arrives, but till then, there are plenty of tools. This is my current favorite: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=1006

This guide I wrote may well help if your problem is as serious as you say too: http://www.mypurebb.com/129-combating-spam-in-mybb/ - make sure to read both pages.
Thank you. If I can get past this spam issue I will use mybb on all of my sites.
I don't want to sound unappreciated .
Thank you for your help.
Pages: 1 2