MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help me select the Domain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i am working on a new forum, but the problem is that the domain i want is not available as .com

Now i have 2 options:-
1) Should i select ***forum.net
2) or should i select ***forums.com , as ***forum.com is not available.

help me Huh
If you kind of want to typosquat, use ***forums.com. That way you might get misdirected traffic.
If ***forum.com is taken and actively used you might want to reconsider the name altogether.
(2011-09-20, 12:34 AM)RPicard Wrote: [ -> ]If ***forum.com is taken and actively used you might want to reconsider the name altogether.
I agree. It'll be bad business and you'll probably run into legal issues too.
(2011-09-20, 12:37 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-20, 12:34 AM)RPicard Wrote: [ -> ]If ***forum.com is taken and actively used you might want to reconsider the name altogether.
I agree. It'll be bad business and you'll probably run into legal issues too.

Realistically I don't think you'll run into any legal action because of similar domains in this case. If we're talking about AppleOfficialForum.com here I could be wrong. It is bad business though and if the other forum is well known you'll have a hard time gaining traction in their shadow. It would be like starting an operating system company and calling your product Macrosoft Doors.
(2011-09-20, 12:42 AM)RPicard Wrote: [ -> ]It would be like starting an operating system company and calling your product Macrosoft Doors.
I laughed unnecessarily hard at that. Brilliant.

Anyway, OP, it would be best to find a new name altogether. Giving us more information would help if you're looking for suggestions.
Thanks everyone for your replies, ***forum.com is not active, but still i have gone with ***forums.com Toungue
(2011-09-20, 02:07 AM)Kingpirate02 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everyone for your replies, ***forum.com is not active, but still i have gone with ***forums.com Toungue
I highly recommend not doing so for the reasons outlined above.
But why, their is no similar forum like that.
If a user mistypes the URL they'll be presented with a non-active forum. Bad for business.
Pages: 1 2 3