MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: force members to get emails from site?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
is there anyway to force all members to receive emails from my site?
Theoretically, no. I can easily set up a filter that deletes your mail before it even touches my inbox.

Though logically, through MyBB, it's entirely possible by just running an SQL query to set everyone's preference for receiving mail to true, or by editing the core to always have it pass positive.
how do I set a query?
You can run queries using a database utility such as phpMyAdmin (usually included with your hosting package. If you have CPanel, you can find it easily).
for example to set everyones b-day I would run UPDATE mybb_users SET birthdayprivacy = 'all';
So what would I run for everyone to get the email? Sorry but i'm a little confused.
It's illegal to send emails to people who don't want them.
I don't think so if they are a member of my forum!
(2011-09-19, 06:16 PM)PJGIH Wrote: [ -> ]It's illegal to send emails to people who don't want them.

Well when you get into the legality of things, they signed up for the forum in the first place by agreeing to the terms of service-- of which included is that they are to receive electronic mail time to time regardless of preference.

(2011-09-19, 06:15 PM)dj83 Wrote: [ -> ]for example to set everyones b-day I would run UPDATE mybb_users SET birthdayprivacy = 'all';
So what would I run for everyone to get the email? Sorry but i'm a little confused.

Don't use 'all' unless it's a column that accepts text. It's most likely an int column.

0 = not set (false)
1 = set (true)
(2011-09-19, 06:16 PM)PJGIH Wrote: [ -> ]It's illegal to send emails to people who don't want them.

THIS ^

Unless you clearly tell your users that you are forcing them to receive emails from your website... If that was legal, Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo will explode your inbox with advertisements...
Pages: 1 2