MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merge system architechture question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hope I'm asking the right place this time.... Big Grin

My question is, Is there any reason in particular that the merge system runs on MySQL 5.5, when most servers that I've run in to during my search for a new host seem to be running on MySQL 5.1 or lower. Is it more common to run all the queries etc on localhost and then transfer the finished product to the server?
The merge system will run just fine on any version of MySQL 5, but changes were recently made to make it compatible with MySQL 5.5.

I personally recommend running it on a local host installation so you can use 100% cpu without being harassed by your host for using too many resources. Smile
Malcolm pretty much said it, though transferring on the live server vs. localhost actually makes no difference if done right. The first thing you should do once MyBB is installed is use phpMyAdmin or similar to MAKE A BACKUP Wink

Not of your old forum, but of the new MyBB forum. That way, if there's any issues during the merge (say you find a bug) you can restore the backup, get the issue corrected, and try again. I recommend doing this a few times anyways for testing.

When you do run your final merge, also close both boards! You have no idea how many people fail to do this, then complain because their users were active on the old board and added more stuff that didn't get transferred.