MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tags system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think there should be an inbuilt tags system that automatically ads tags from the thread name like vbulletin is having......Confused
I don't personally think to include this as core. Plugin should suffice.
I think prefixes work better for forums. I mean you don't want users creating tags as well it could be pretty chaotic with how bad of spellers people are(and language difference(like colur and color)).

And, if you give a good forum layout people should have a general idea of the topic from that alone.
I think tagging other user's in posts a la Twitter could possibly be a good feature for the core system.

Not from a 'copy all social network feautres' standpoint, I think it would be good for conversation tracking and discussion management.
(2011-09-24, 06:48 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I think prefixes work better for forums. I mean you don't want users creating tags as well it could be pretty chaotic with how bad of spellers people are(and language difference(like colur and color)).

And, if you give a good forum layout people should have a general idea of the topic from that alone.

I think it could be useful as long as the tags were pre-defined. Basically like prefixes but allowing more than one per topic.
Not that I'm an advocate of StackOverflow's bogus level/karma/reputation feature pyramid, but until you reach a certain point level you can't create new tags; instead, you're forced to use tags already made and used by other users. So the community starts out with 10 tags and then users slowly fill in the gaps.

Theoretically this would work on a forum, but honestly I would not like to see this in the core. It's simply too much overhead that a majority of casual forum users wouldn't even use. Between Google and default forum search functionality, adding tags causes no discernable difference in validity and relevance of results.
The current tagging plugin is extremely inefficient. If tags make it into the core it must be efficient and there needs to have an option to disable it. Personally I think it still belongs in the realm of the plugin. BTW, I use a tag system on my forum.