MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Facebook Chatting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My suggestion is to add something to the buddy system like the facebook chat. And to other users or only friends.

Totally defeats the purpose of a forum.
It won't bother me to see a one-to-one chat system, also the admin can always disable it..
What defeats the purpose of a forum is Chatrooms, but a one-2-one or a Facebook-style chat bar would be a cool feature Smile
People seem incessant on "adding things they want with an option to turn it off", that doesn't solve the problem of people not wanting it.

What the problem is, is wasting development time on something that is not core to the product when that time could be better spent developing the core of the product, a discussion forum.
(2011-09-28, 06:38 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]It won't bother me to see a one-to-one chat system, also the admin can always disable it..
What defeats the purpose of a forum is Chatrooms, but a one-2-one or a Facebook-style chat bar would be a cool feature Smile

Forum is not equal to a chatroom. This is pure bloat. Even Vbulletion doesn't have that much bloat Confused.

Why are we trying to beat them in that catagory.
(2011-09-28, 09:12 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-28, 06:38 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]It won't bother me to see a one-to-one chat system, also the admin can always disable it..

Forum is not equal to a chatroom. This is pure bloat. Even Vbulletion doesn't have that much bloat Confused.

Why are we trying to beat them in that catagory.

Okay! I said I didn't want CHATROOMS neither! But a one-to-one chat isn't bad, Facebook chat bar allows to communicate with your friends only and not in any way with everyone who's on Facebook! It's an alternative way to send Messages!

In fact, Private Messages are in a way a One-to-One chat system (or messaging system)... Despite that on Private Messages, you send a message and you wait for the other one to answer (takes time, and you have to keep quoting the old messages if you want to answer),
One-to-one chat bar allows you to do the same thing, but more quickly (instantly) and you don't have to quote anything, your old messages are just in there!

Hope it's clear now! Chatrooms thing is defeats forum's principle! A One-to-one chat does only allow you to talk to your friends, and not to everybody! Re-think of it Smile
1on1 chatting = private messaging (which will be in conversation style for 2.0)
This I think could best be left to a plugin if a person really wants a chat. I don't think it should be core. It will end up using a lot of server resources if a forum has many members.
The author didn't suggest a chat room, but an instant messaging!! Why you all keep saying it's a chat room/chat box?
Stop it for God's sake :/
You're really going to fight about wording? Either ways it's one person interaction with one other person. And, either way PM's should suffice and it shouldn't be part of a forum.
Pages: 1 2