MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam prevention/deterrance methods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This isn't a support thread, but I am posting this here because there have been a lot of threads created as of late in regards to spam bots posting on MyBB forums. Staff can move this to an appropriate area if need be.

The MyBB Team are currently working on a new way to fight this problem. In a later update they will be releasing Spam Ninja. But until then, here are a few methods and plugins to help minimize spam on your forum and help make it a little more manageable.

(acp->configuration->User Registration and Profile Options)
Enable email verification or admin approval for registrations

(acp->configuration->General Configuration)
Enable Captcha for registrations

(acp->forums and posts->*edit permissions for each forum*)
Disable Guest Posting

The following is a list of plugins that are currently available to help you combat the spam:
  1. Spamalyzer
  2. Fassim AntiSpam
  3. Stop Forum Spam
  4. Cloudflare Manager (Official Site)
  5. Goodbye Spammer
  6. reCaptcha III
  7. Auto Website Removal In Profile
  8. Registration Security Question
  9. Signup Questions
  10. Sig Control

This probably isn't all the methods we can use, but it's a start if spam is really becoming an annoyance for you.
If anyone knows of another helpful resource, please let me know.
'Registration security Question' is very effective, I'm using it for some time now

I don't follow mybb development site, it's nice to know that mybb team it's focusing on that problem

EDIT:
FYI Cloudflare.com (Free membership) is using the "IP blacklist" from Project Honey Pot
http://www.cloudflare.com/wiki/DataSources

I installed spamalyzer and goodbye spammer.

Does these 2 have improved signup verification process?

I think I need 2 things to combat spam:

1) Some difficult image verification on signup but not too difficult. AND FREE

2) Something that will let me ban and delete all reported posts FAST in one go.
(2011-09-29, 07:42 PM)aglioeolio Wrote: [ -> ]FYI Cloudflare.com (Free membership) is using the "IP blacklist" from Project Honey Pot

Got it added.

(2011-09-29, 07:34 PM)x-Treme Wrote: [ -> ]This isn't a support thread, but I am posting this here because there have been a lot of threads created as of late in regards to spam bots posting on MyBB forums. Staff can move this to an appropriate area if need be.

The MyBB Team are currently working on a new way to fight this problem. In a later update they will be releasing Spam Ninja. But until then, here are a few methods and plugins to help minimize spam on your forum and help make it a little more manageable.

Disable Guest Posting

The following is a list of plugins that are currently available to help you combat the spam:
  1. Spamalyzer
  2. Fassim AntiSpam
  3. Stop Forum Spam
  4. Cloudflare Manager (Official Site)
  5. Goodbye Spammer
  6. reCaptcha III
  7. Auto Website Removal In Profile
  8. Registration Security Question
  9. Signup Questions
  10. Sig Control

This probably isn't all the methods we can use, but it's a start if spam is really becoming an annoyance for you.
If anyone knows of another helpful resource, please let me know.

I looked into my mybb admin area and all the following are auto done in the latest release of mybb:

Disable Guest Posting

So I changed nothing
(2011-09-29, 08:32 PM)x-Treme Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-09-29, 07:42 PM)aglioeolio Wrote: [ -> ]FYI Cloudflare.com (Free membership) is using the "IP blacklist" from Project Honey Pot

Got it added.

Correct. I just wanted to add that we don't publish all of our spam sources (obvious reasons) in public.

Well, now we are going on here, because there are enough spammers on our forum and captcha doesn't stop them. The actual version of MyBB doesn't stop them too. By the moment I have no questions, I start reading Smile
for me recaptcha III and cloudflare stopped.
I too have been recently (last few weeks) been getting spammed.

Because guests cannot post anywhere and i do not allow anyone to self-register, i wonder if any of the advice given here applies to me. (I don't want to spend time with add-ons that only help slow down the user-registration process because i don't even have one.)

Can people hack into my BB and create users? Is that a silly question?

My forum is at http://96.49.224.243/copan_support/ Can you see a way in? If so, please leave a polite and informative spam!

I doubt if any of my (small number of) users is changing his name and email and spamming. Is that even possible?

Another question: When i detect spam, i immediately delete the user and his post. Is that the best response? (My forum is small enough that i can easily see any spam that appears.)

Finally, if there's nothing else i can do, is there a way i can have all posts be automatically emailed to me so i can delete them if they're spam? (Again, the activity level is so low that this would not be a burden.)

Thanks for any help.
(2011-10-13, 05:45 PM)Martin F Wrote: [ -> ]Another question: When i detect spam, i immediately delete the user and his post. Is that the best response?

It tells the spammer that he has to find a different way in. I use a little trick on some of my sites. I use .htaccess to redirect blocked IP addresses to a page that generates a 500 error. They think the site is crashed and move on.
Pages: 1 2