MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question About Mirrored Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I've noticed some message boards that have multiple urls - for example, mybb.com and mybb.net would take you to the same place. I don't think it's simply a case of one url redirecting to the other (but I could be mistaken). It seems to me it's more like the exact same site is mirrored on a second web host.

Right now, I have a MyBB forum set up with a free host. I'm wondering if it's possible to register with a second host and obtain a second, completely different url that will lead to the same forum. I want to do this partly to lessen the load on my current host and partly to offer a more work appropriate url to members who browse from their offices.

Can it be done, and if so, how?
Yes some websites do that in case you forget the domain name ending, or to make sure that other people can't just buy that domain and try to ripoff what they are doing.
It is possible to do this by using a free domain registry and just adding the DNS to it. You can do this by using the public domains located on http://freedns.afraid.org/domain/registry/ for free.
Hi Known, thanks for your reply. If I'm understanding correctly, this would address my desire to have an alternate, more work-appropriate url. It wouldn't do anything to lessen the load on my current host, right? If so, is there any way to address that?
I'd guess you could do what all the big forums do and upload a duplicate copy of your site, then use the same database for it.
That's what I wanted to know! Is it just a matter of installing MyBB and a copy of all my files? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how this works.
It's called "Parked Domains".

You just set-up a domain, change the nameservers to the ones of your main domain then go to cpanel of your main and go to Parked Domains and enter the URL.

But make sure the domain doesn't have hosting from the same host.
Thanks Grime!
I think the question is "How do I run multiple forums on one database".
http://yaldaram.com/showthread.php?tid=1631
(2011-10-02, 02:40 AM)Grime Wrote: [ -> ]It's called "Parked Domains".

You just set-up a domain, change the nameservers to the ones of your main domain then go to cpanel of your main and go to Parked Domains and enter the URL.

But make sure the domain doesn't have hosting from the same host.

That's for parking a domain, OP wants to run forums on one database with separate domains.
Yes, what's being discussed in Everett's link is what I'm after. Does anyone know of a more detailed tutorial?
OP said something about mybb.com and mybb.net - Pretty sure that's a bad example then, as doesn't MyBB park domains?

Got confused by the OP.
Pages: 1 2