MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GoogleBot and MyBB Calender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I run a site which contains a copy of MyBB forum. However for some reason the GoogleBot is seemingly visiting my forum for at least 2/3 of everyday. You'd think it had other sites to goto.

However rather than doing anything particulary useful you know... like indexing the forum - its viewing the calender. It always views the calender, for hours at a time.

Does anyone else noticed something similar?
leenick Wrote:You'd think it had other sites to goto.
It does. It indexes lots of sites simultaneously. Wink

Quote:However rather than doing anything particulary useful you know... like indexing the forum - its viewing the calender. It always views the calender, for hours at a time.
That's kinda strange, but the calendar has many pages: one for each day.

Remember that GoogleBot is only an automated computer program... it can act pretty dumb sometimes. Toungue
GoogleBot is programmed by Google...which makes it extremely clever for a bot. It may be an automated program, but it acts more "humanlike" than the other search engine bots.
I shall watch out for these people that take sixteen hours to read a blank calender then Wink
The calendar is not blank though. If you think about it, GoogleBot looks for content on pages, and if you chose a random calendar page: http://community.mybboard.net/calendar.p...h=2&day=23 you can see that is does have content on it in the form of html. This is the content that GoogleBot reads because it doesn't know any difference between the html content and what the "default" empty calendar page is like...
If its punching a serious hole in your bandwidth, add the calender to your robots.txt exclude list.