MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mass mail question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is it possible to compile and send an email and/or a PM to a list of specific forum users within the mybb mass mail system?

I don't see an ability to do this, or I'm just missing it totally..
see : [wiki : Mass Mail]
Quote:Step 3: Recipients
This step allows you to specify the recipients of the email or private message.
You can search by username, email address, group memberships, or post count
(including greater than, is exactly, or less than). Not specifying anything will
send the message to all users.
(2011-10-03, 06:12 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]see : [wiki : Mass Mail]
Quote:Step 3: Recipients
This step allows you to specify the recipients of the email or private message.
You can search by username, email address, group memberships, or post count
(including greater than, is exactly, or less than). Not specifying anything will
send the message to all users.

odd, for some reason when I typed in my username on the forum I was testing the mailing out on, it kept returning a search error. Here's the exact error: "Your search criteria did not return any users. Please adjust your criteria and try again." I typed in the username I'm logged into the back end with and it returned that error.

and how exactly do you specify more than 1 user? with a comma or a semicolon?
hmm., the Username contains... field appears to be accepting part of user name OR the exact
user name AND selecting one more setting might be helpful !! it is not accepting multiple users Sad
(2011-10-03, 06:39 AM)ranjani Wrote: [ -> ]hmm., the Username contains... field appears to be accepting part of user name OR the exact
user name AND selecting one more setting might be helpful !! it is not accepting multiple users Sad

still doesn't work.

I've typed in my username correctly into the "username contains" field, selected the proper user group I'm part of (administrator) and set the post count to be greater than than 300 (of which I have around 360 posts). it's still returning the aforementioned error. hmn....
If the users have nothing in common for you to select them all, then what you can do is first create a temporary usergroup and add all the users you want to send the mail to, to that group (as secondary group) then you just need to select this temporary group when sending the mail.

As far as it not picking up your username, make sure you are entering it exactly as it is making sure there are no spaces at the end or begining.
(2011-10-03, 09:39 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]If the users have nothing in common for you to select them all, then what you can do is first create a temporary usergroup and add all the users you want to send the mail to, to that group (as secondary group) then you just need to select this temporary group when sending the mail.

As far as it not picking up your username, make sure you are entering it exactly as it is making sure there are no spaces at the end or begining.

that seems like a lot of work just to send out a mass mail. maybe in the future, the core forum product will allow an admin to specifically list each user who they want to send a message to.

and I'm not sure what's going on with why the mass mail system will not send a test PM to my username. I just tried it again, with no luck. maybe there's a bug in the system?!

I can supply a test account if you'd like to take a look?
(2011-10-03, 08:13 PM)Shemo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-03, 09:39 AM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]If the users have nothing in common for you to select them all, then what you can do is first create a temporary usergroup and add all the users you want to send the mail to, to that group (as secondary group) then you just need to select this temporary group when sending the mail.

that seems like a lot of work just to send out a mass mail. maybe in the future, the core forum product will allow an admin to specifically list each user who they want to send a message to.

and I'm not sure what's going on with why the mass mail system will not send a test PM to my username. I just tried it again, with no luck. maybe there's a bug in the system?!

I can supply a test account if you'd like to take a look?

I agree, the mass mail could use an option to add a csv list of users to send the mail to which would be helpful in your situation. Feel free to add it to the ideas site so it can be considered however, for now the workaround I posted above is your best bet.

As for the system not picking up your name, I still say you are probably not entering it right, I doubt its a bug as I can not replicate the problem on my end unless I actually enter the username wrong but I can check it out if you want, PM me a test acocunt.
ok, the issue is resolved. apparently I didn't have the option checked in my usercp to accept emails from administrators. now after that is checked, it works and I received the email.

maybe in the future, mybb can code in more specific errors, so this issue is more easily identified.
I created an idea ticket to see if we can get the mass mail system enhanced:
http://ideas.mybb.com/idea/mass-mail-enhancements