MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IP to DOMAIN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I have my second PC at home and I want to install Ubuntu Server on it.
What software to install to use my pc as a Dedicater Server or VPS?
There are some options here:
[Image: 13.png]
Which one should I choose and how to use my domain (.net) with it. So actually I want to use it where I can host my websites.

IP to DOMAIN because when I install software I have the static IP as domain and I want to use my domain (.net) instead of the IP.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!
Yea, I know this tutorial but I think I found how to make it. Thanks anyway!
But it doesn't say how to change your server's static ip into a domain....
You'll want DNS, LAMP, and possibly Mail. (If you're advanced you'll want OpenSSH too.)

DNS: Provides the system you're describing as "attaching an IP to a domain".
LAMP: Will provide you with Apache, MySQL, and PHP/Perl/Python.
Mail: Self explanatory.
OpwnSSH: Gives you access to login to your server via secure shell.
Also you can't run an actual dedicated unless you have an ISP would is very nice, or pay a lot more for a business plus line.
(2011-10-04, 04:20 PM)Everett777 Wrote: [ -> ]But it doesn't say how to change your server's static ip into a domain....
Ping your IP with resolution (usually ping -a 1.2.3.4, or whatever your IP is). *IF* your IP address is one registered as a domain name (no guarantee - it may just be part of a block your provider owns), it'll resolve to the domain name.

I'm guessing that it's just part of a block, so you'll have to buy a domain name and point its DNS record to your static IP address. (The place you buy it from can do that for you or point you to the part of the control panel [on their site] you should use to do it.)
DynDNS.org, for all your non-dedicated IP needs. Smile