MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is a good server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to host my own site on my own server. Is this possible and what server software can I use?
Thanks riccetts
MyBB is PHP code.
Use Linux, Apache, PHP-FastCGI,
LAMP......
(2011-10-05, 03:03 PM)Riccetts Wrote: [ -> ]I want to host my own site on my own server. Is this possible and what server software can I use?
Thanks riccetts

Judging by the obscure question I have to say I don't think you're ready to attempt such a feat.
That ^^^
(2011-10-05, 03:03 PM)Riccetts Wrote: [ -> ]I want to host my own site on my own server. Is this possible and what server software can I use?
Thanks riccetts

Decent;

CentOS +LAMP

Better;

Debian +LHMP

Best:

FreeBSD + LHMP

You are a freaking god;

OpenBSD + LHMP

Imo of course.
If you are asking that question in a MyBB forum then you shouldn't host on your own server. It will be cheaper if you try the services of good and quality hosting providers. Less time consumed in the learning curve and more time in forum administration.
@Aristotle: can you explain why?
My preferred software setup is:
nginx, php-fpm and mysql on CentOS
PHP cache: APC
Works great on my VPS with 128mb RAM.
(2011-10-05, 05:17 PM)patrick Wrote: [ -> ]@Aristotle: can you explain why?

CentOS is a decent Linux OS, and LAMP is a good setup.

Although BSD is a much better system the way it is setup

I prefer hiawatha to apache, although i barely am able to use it due to support software.

OpenBSD is the most secure system, as it doesn't have the crap linux has with it.