MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Activation E-mail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, when ever someone registers to my site the registration never gets to them, I have set the settings to this:

SMTP mail
smtp.gmail.com
*My email*
*My pass*
TLS encryption
Log everything
no
Bump, would be great to get some help.
Hey man,

First let me say that for several days I have had the same problem you have been having and I would work on trying to fix it for a while, then get frustrated and put it up for a while, meanwhile my humble little forums getting spammed relentlessly.

So let me tell you how your original post actually helped me.

I used all of the settings you posted ( initially my port number was incorrect ) and here is where I *think* I can help you....

You probably need to CHMOD the following two files to 0777

config.php
settings.php

I run my forums from a linux server, therefore the two files I just mentioned are located in the /inc directory of my "MyBB" installation instance. I was getting the following error in my "system mail log" prior to chmod'ing those two files :
"could not connect to the email server with the info provided"

or something very similar. But again after I changed the port number for my smtp settings and the permissions of those 2 files above, everything worked. After I made the changes I registered a test account and used the administrator control panel to manually send the bulk mail message (which is automatically sent whenever a new user registers on the forum) and then I logged in to the test account's email inbox and *YAYEAH* I got the confirmation email.

Honestly, after all that though I am worried that just having the email response mechanism functional is not going to help me with my forums getting spammed.... This is because the only thing inside the confirmation email message sent by my forum was a single link to follow. There was a code in the message but the code was never requested when I followed the activation link from the message. :/

Anyway I *really* hope this helps you bro, because I know how frustrating this particular setback can be.

See ya Smile

- Ryan

http://www.fortcollinspc.net

p.s. I too am using GMAIL for the forums email