MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Support for RFC-defined "netblocks" for banning IP's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today I had some fun. I had discovered a netblock to be a group of "dedicated servers" in france spamming my forums. The netblock was -.-.64.0/19. Yet, the RFC-Standard "netblock notation" of -.-.64.0/19 or -.-.64/19 isn't (afaik) supported by MyBB. I think it should be.
I think anyone capable of defining an IP range as .64/19 is capable of typing the actual range. It wouldn't hurt to allow the notation, but it shouldn't stop you from blocking the block. (Or entering it in a deny line in .htaccess, which would work a lot faster.)
(2011-10-09, 03:45 AM)Rukbat Wrote: [ -> ]I think anyone capable of defining an IP range as .64/19 is capable of typing the actual range. It wouldn't hurt to allow the notation, but it shouldn't stop you from blocking the block. (Or entering it in a deny line in .htaccess, which would work a lot faster.)

1. What if the person doesn't have access to .htaccess?
2. .64/19, if you're unaware, would be 64 entries in MyBB IP ban's interface, which is totally annoying... and it took me like 15 minutes to write out the MyBB-style notation.
3. It irks me that I know all this stuff about networking and working in network centers and stuff, but I have software that is dumbed down with features that make it more work than it really should be for us who can understand advanced notation such as -.-.64.0/19. I mean, in this case, a regular expression would be easier even than the current system.
If you work in networking you know it would be better stop it at the server level or even before so it wouldn't waste as many resources on loading the mybb pages.
(2011-10-10, 04:04 AM)Rallias Wrote: [ -> ]1. What if the person doesn't have access to .htaccess?

I have to agree with Alex Smith here. The app shouldn't be doing the server's job. Use MyBB's IP block for what it's intended for - blocking individual spammers.

The solution to a site you don't have access to .htaccess on is to get a host that doesn't dumb things down.

(I have a few thousand blocks denied on every one of my sites, both those I host and those I buy hosting for. If you've never been there, you should visit http://www.wizcrafts.net/)
If you have access to upload MyBB's files you have access to create a .htaccess file.