MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ajax Preview Post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-10-22, 05:02 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:You're attacking the result, not the cause. It doesn't work IRL, it doesn't work in programming.

Why can't you grasp that if the browser doesn't work, then the intended functionality isn't there?

Why can't you grasp 2 very simple facts?

1) The fact that someone makes a browser that doesn't interpret Javascript correctly has no more to do with Javascript than the fact that some company makes defective tires that fit GM cars has to do with GM.

and

2) Javascript isn't going away. [Not one single] professional is going to stop using Javascript until something better comes along. (And then someone will produce a browser that doesn't interpret that language properly.) Whether you think that functionality is missing or not is totally irrelevant - the industry (those of us who earn our livings doing this stuff) are going to continue to use it, and most people who work on large projects that they don't get paid for (like MyBB) are also going to continue to use it.

Quote:The browser is part of using JavaScript, like it is for CSS and HTML. Whether you like it or not, the browser does affect how the script works; and when the browser doesn't work properly, the script doesn't either.

Totally irrelevant to whether we will continue to use Javascript. So will people like the MyBB development team.

Quote:"hey guys, we should definitely use this awesome, bug-free scripting language, even though there are 10+ different interpreters for it out there, all of which have their own bugs, and a large portion of the world is still using one of the buggiest!"

Pretty much all I've gotten out of this conversation.

All you're going to get - from this conversation and from the web development industry.

Quote:JS isn't going to go away any time soon. Period. (AJAX isn't a separate issue, it's just something you use JS for.)

I have no issues with that, but I still think we should be cautious where we use it.
[/quote]

So be cautious. Those of us who know how and where to use it will use it as we see fit. Decades of experience trumps newbieness every single time.
(2011-10-24, 03:23 AM)Rukbat Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you grasp 2 very simple facts?

1) The fact that someone makes a browser that doesn't interpret Javascript correctly has no more to do with Javascript than the fact that some company makes defective tires that fit GM cars has to do with GM.

No, but again, it affects the usability of the vehicle. You're saying that even though the package is incomplete, we should still be using it, even though it isn't really necessary in most cases. I don't agree with that [entirely].

Quote:2) Javascript isn't going away. [Not one single] professional is going to stop using Javascript until something better comes along. (And then someone will produce a browser that doesn't interpret that language properly.) Whether you think that functionality is missing or not is totally irrelevant - the industry (those of us who earn our livings doing this stuff) are going to continue to use it, and most people who work on large projects that they don't get paid for (like MyBB) are also going to continue to use it.

Since you evidently know more than I do about this subject, do carry on.

I am simply not interested in seeing good projects, and web development as a whole, unnecessarily turn to methods which have obvious flaws.

Aside from that, I don't want JS to go away [unless of course there's a better alternative in the future]. Never said I did (or did I? don't recall). Please see the italicized sentence above these ones to see what my reasoning is.

Quote:All you're going to get - from this conversation and from the web development industry.

Those of us who know how and where to use it will use it as we see fit. Decades of experience trumps newbieness every single time.

Please, don't treat me like an idiot. I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are; likewise, opinions are subject to change.

When all popular browsers reduce their hiccups to a tiny percent, and the majority of the web is actually using these browsers (see: percentage of people still using outdated browsers), I'll be much more welcome to using JS on a large scale. Until then.. not so much.
(2011-10-24, 11:48 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-24, 03:23 AM)Rukbat Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you grasp 2 very simple facts?

No, but again, it affects the usability of the vehicle.
Which - again - has absolutely nothing to do with the vehicle manufacturer. You don't fix a defective tire problem by modifying the vehicle. You don't repair a defective browser by butchering your code to work less well in all browsers, just so it works a little better in the defective one.

Quote: You're saying that even though the package is incomplete, we should still be using it, even though it isn't really necessary in most cases. I don't agree with that [entirely].

No, you're saying that I'm saying that. I'm saying that if you insist on using a defective browser, that's your choice and your problem, but I'm not giving up client-side code because the browser you choose to use can't handle client-side code properly.

YOU'RE saying that, since some people make defective tires, cars should all be manufactured to run on their rims. Even if most people who know about cars choose to buy premium tires.

Quote:
Quote:2) Javascript isn't going away. [Not one single] professional is going to stop using Javascript until something better comes along. (And then someone will produce a browser that doesn't interpret that language properly.) Whether you think that functionality is missing or not is totally irrelevant - the industry (those of us who earn our livings doing this stuff) are going to continue to use it, and most people who work on large projects that they don't get paid for (like MyBB) are also going to continue to use it.

Since you evidently know more than I do about this subject, do carry on.

I am simply not interested in seeing good projects, and web development as a whole, unnecessarily turn to methods which have obvious flaws.
Not using client-side code is a flaw. Using a defective browser is a flaw. Using Javascript isn't a flaw.

Again - if you choose to use a browser that can't handle client-side code properly (and there's very little choice if the developer doesn't want to pay Microsoft), you either learn enough that you'll change browser, or you put up with a defective-looking site.

As a professional developer, I don't have the time to make sure that my site looks the same in every browser out there (and there are well over 100 of them), nor would I if I did have the time.

Quote:Aside from that, I don't want JS to go away [unless of course there's a better alternative in the future]. Never said I did (or did I? don't recall). Please see the italicized sentence above these ones to see what my reasoning is.
But you're assuming that the flaw is AJAX or Javascript. It's not. It's the inability of some browsers to handle a properly written website properly. (AJAX doesn't, in and of itself, do anything to the site. It's still just plain old PHP on the server and plain old Javascript in the client. And if it's not Javascrtipt it's going to be vbscript, and if you suggest that to the industry, I absolve myself of the results.)

Quote:
Quote:All you're going to get - from this conversation and from the web development industry.

Those of us who know how and where to use it will use it as we see fit. Decades of experience trumps newbieness every single time.

Please, don't treat me like an idiot. I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are; likewise, opinions are subject to change.
The difference is that my "opinion" is backed by almost 40 years of earning a living doing this, taking courses to stay current, and inventing some of what's been used. Yours is based on a lack of understanding of how websites work and how developers develop them.

Quote:When all popular browsers reduce their hiccups to a tiny percent, and the majority of the web is actually using these browsers (see: percentage of people still using outdated browsers), I'll be much more welcome to using JS on a large scale. Until then.. not so much.
Then don't use it in sites you design. But resign yourself to the fact that most sites will continue to use Javascript regardless of what those who write browsers do, until something replaces Javascxript. VERY few professional developers who use Javascript are going to switch to ASP. You're asking GM to stop making cars and start making horse-drawn wagons out of wood controlled by another company. It's not going to happen. The industry - if asked - would reject your "opinion" out of hand.

Will MyBB use AJAX? I'm not on the development team, so I have no idea. Should it? In my opinion, yes - where applicable.

Will it use Javascript? Up to 2.0, we know it will. The library's already been chosen, from what I've been reading here. (Again, I'm not on the team, so I know as much, or as little, about what's going to be done as you do - but I do know 2.0 will be using Javascript unless the entire industry takes a big turn.)
Man, you really like to jump to conclusions. I do know how websites work, one doesn't need 40 years of experience and an elitist attitude to figure this stuff out. I also use a standards-compliant browser, FYI. I guess I was wrong in assuming that "professional developers" actually cared about what a large chunk of web users out there see. Sorry about that.

Anyways, I'm done arguing with you. You evidently haven't interpreted (pun not intended) what I've tried to iterate through several posts, and I'm done trying to convey the message.
(2011-10-25, 04:51 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I also use a standards-compliant browser
Then what's the problem? Javascript works in it.
Quote:I guess I was wrong in assuming that "professional developers" actually cared about what a large chunk of web users out there see.
Yes, you were. I care about writing what my client wants me to write. I don't get paid to worry about what browser the majority of people use, I get paid to write specific sites to do specific things.

And I'm sure the crew that writes MyBB is also focusing on MyBB, not on how some esoteric browser is going to mangle it.
Pages: 1 2 3