MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wordpress Like Theme/Plugin Installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I simply love the wordpress theme and plugin installation and to see it on mybb would be great it's so simple. Basically to get plugins and themes all you do is press an install button, I don't know how wordpress made it but there was need to download the plugin you just install it Big Grin
he isn't talking about using wordpress themes... he's saying he likes how wordpress installs plugins and themes..
EDIT: I really don't know how i feel about this though. I would hope plugins stay as similar to how they are now for easy to upgrade them.
(2011-10-10, 11:30 AM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]he isn't talking about using wordpress themes... he's saying he likes how wordpress installs plugins and themes..
EDIT: I really don't know how i feel about this though. I would hope plugins stay as similar to how they are now for easy to upgrade them.

Upgrading of Wordpress plugins/themes is easier and follows the same technique. I don't think it would reduce "ease of upgrading". It will more likely make things easier.

But the problem is, every plugin author should pack the plugins with a specific structure.
I mean upgrading plugins from 1.6.x to 2.0.. i'm sure most plugin developers for MyBB would not like a HUGE change in how their plugin work. Maybe if just the installation method changed, but kept the basics the same or at least similar.
(2011-10-10, 09:14 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]I mean upgrading plugins from 1.6.x to 2.0.. i'm sure most plugin developers for MyBB would not like a HUGE change in how their plugin work. Maybe if just the installation method changed, but kept the basics the same or at least similar.

Nah. As far as i know, MyBB 2.0's plugin system would be different from 1.6, as 2.0 is a complete rewrite.
So, plugin authors should rewrite plugins for 2.0.
To make it clear, i'm talking about a one click plugin/theme installation like wordpress have.
(2011-10-11, 06:45 PM)StevenF50 Wrote: [ -> ]To make it clear, i'm talking about a one click plugin/theme installation like wordpress have.

I would like that too, wordpress plugin install is simple and fast, and the updates too...
(2011-10-10, 09:14 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]I mean upgrading plugins from 1.6.x to 2.0.. i'm sure most plugin developers for MyBB would not like a HUGE change in how their plugin work. Maybe if just the installation method changed, but kept the basics the same or at least similar.

The entire system changes. The methodology of 2.0 is massively different. Making 1.6 or legacy plugins run in this type of environment is not practical at all.

Plugin Developers will need to rewrite plugins. They should be able to take advantage of using a framework and MVC models to produce more powerful plugins than before.
(2011-10-12, 07:43 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Plugin Developers will need to rewrite plugins.
Could we get better documentation for the API than we have for the hooks and functions in <2.x? (The hooks are documented, the functions aren't.) It takes time for someone not familiar with the core code to find the right file, then the right function.

I have no problem rewriting code - if I can make a list of function names/what they're used for. Keeping a list of functions as they're written takes very little extra time, as opposed to searching the code for what you need.
Hey guys this is going off topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4