MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Login to Admin with any IP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many users have difficulty doing anything on the admin panel unless they are on the same IP address they made their account from and/or anything that is close.

This is a simple trick. What this will do is will allow you do login from any IP address. This is not good for security, however there are some people like me who login from totally different IP address from work/school and/or home.

1) Open up admin/index.php

Find the line
define("ADMIN_IP_SEGMENTS", 3);

Replace with

define("ADMIN_IP_SEGMENTS", 0);

What it will do is will not check any number from the new IP address. When set to three, it checks if the first 3 numbers of IP match and if they don't it logs you out.

While this setting will make the forum not check ANY numbers from the IP letting you login and do stuff without problems.

No, this will allow your IP to change during a session, not allow you to login from a different IP than where you made your account.
(2011-10-11, 11:59 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]No, this will allow your IP to change during a session, not allow you to login from a different IP than where you made your account.

It kind of is the same thing. If you login from a different IP it does not allow you change anything and end your session. While this trick will allow IP to change during session and let you do what you want.

Just like it will not check any number from IP and allow to you login without getting logged out.
How do you change your IP during a session, unless you're on a smartphone or moving from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot?

Providers don't change your IP address once you're connected.
This would mess up. ACP allows to login from any IP by default, the one you provided, this can help you change your IP and even by changing IP, the ACP session won't expire and keep you logged in.
(2011-10-12, 02:55 AM)Rukbat Wrote: [ -> ]How do you change your IP during a session, unless you're on a smartphone or moving from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot?

1) It does change if you have dynamic.
2) If you bothered to read the OP it clearly states if you login form 2 different places. I have also given an example.
(2011-10-12, 05:48 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]This would mess up. ACP allows to login from any IP by default, the one you provided, this can help you change your IP and even by changing IP, the ACP session won't expire and keep you logged in.

It does allow to login but it expires each time you try to do something or refresh the page. This will stop that from happening. This is more for logging in from 2 different places.
(2011-10-12, 05:50 AM)ghoku Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-12, 02:55 AM)Rukbat Wrote: [ -> ]How do you change your IP during a session, unless you're on a smartphone or moving from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot?

1) It does change if you have dynamic.
In almost 30 years on the internet, I've never had it happen from a dynamic IP unless I disconnected (and it has to be a long time with broadband - it was common with dialup, but who uses dialup these days?).
Quote:2) If you bothered to read the OP it clearly states if you login form 2 different places. I have also given an example.
(2011-10-12, 05:48 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]This would mess up. ACP allows to login from any IP by default, the one you provided, this can help you change your IP and even by changing IP, the ACP session won't expire and keep you logged in.

It does allow to login but it expires each time you try to do something or refresh the page. This will stop that from happening. This is more for logging in from 2 different places.

If you disconnect at one place and reconnect from another place, your session will end. It has nothing to do with MyBB, it's how sessions work. There's a way around it, but anyone could take over your session that way - and that's one of the easiest ways to lose your entire site.
Quote:It does allow to login but it expires each time you try to do something or refresh the page. This will stop that from happening. This is more for logging in from 2 different places.
No it doesn't, unless session is expired or IP is changed, and session expiring takes long time, about more than 1 and half hour maybe, at least.

Rolleyes

My provider break the connection every 24 hours (its called "Zwangstrennung" in Germany). After the automatic reconnect I have a completely new IP address.

Mostly every DSL provider in Germany do this (also the most used connection type in Germany is DSL).
Sorry for such a narrow viewpoint - I had no idea that any ISP did that. Any that did it here in the US would probably be out of business in a few days. If you had just spent 10 minutes of the company's time setting something up on a page and got disconnected, you'd complain to your net admin, and he'd complain to the ISP. If they didn't immediately take steps to prevent breaking sessions, they could make a fortune if they could figure out how to monetize lost customers. (And if your power situation is still as noisy as it was in 1978, that's 2 reasons I'm glad I'm here.)

Consider my comments in this thread applicable only to the US. Blush