MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Niche dedication
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm quite an indecisive person to start off with that.
I have had a MyBB forum for a while with no success, simply because I couldn't decide what to dedicate it to, so I tried general discussion which ofcourse failed because I even feel that I can't put my full passion into it.

Now my areas of expertise and interests are History, Animé and Languages.
It's safe to say, drop Animé.

But now the advice is "do it about something you like and know a lot of, then you can talk about it with fun and it will be much easier to get it going".
But I'm just not sure, how could I make a profitable forum about one or both of the topics ( both could work ? ).
Profitable I mean as in that the forum will get rolling and new people would join out of themselves.

Any help or advice is appreciated, I want to run a forum as a hobby with no money profit in idea, for me the internet is free.
(2011-10-12, 09:55 AM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]I'm quite an indecisive person to start off with that.
I have had a MyBB forum for a while with no success, simply because I couldn't decide what to dedicate it to, so I tried general discussion which ofcourse failed because I even feel that I can't put my full passion into it.

Now my areas of expertise and interests are History, Animé and Languages.
It's safe to say, drop Animé.

But now the advice is "do it about something you like and know a lot of, then you can talk about it with fun and it will be much easier to get it going".
But I'm just not sure, how could I make a profitable forum about one or both of the topics ( both could work ? ).
Profitable I mean as in that the forum will get rolling and new people would join out of themselves.

Any help or advice is appreciated, I want to run a forum as a hobby with no money profit in idea, for me the internet is free.
whatever you like make a forum about that, its easier to output energy towards something you like.
Anime is actually very successful when it comes to forums... you just need to have a few dedicated users to help you start out.
(2011-10-12, 08:16 PM)Jaketfg Wrote: [ -> ]Anime is actually very successful when it comes to forums... you just need to have a few dedicated users to help you start out.

I only watch them, I'm not fanboyish enough to actually make it a success I think.
And finding those dedicated users is also a big amount of luck.
Although, if I could find a way to add videos/seasons to MyBB ( instead of threads and youtube mycode ) I'd be willing to give it a try.
That shouldn't really matter. As long as you can create a few content regarding some of the shows you've watched (gradually creating content), you should be fine.

Although I won't deny knowing a couple of things regarding your niche will help you greatly.

My forum targets a specific community (link is in the signature). Fortunately enough I know what every one talking about (relates to Java and particular source codes).

(2011-10-12, 08:23 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-12, 08:16 PM)Jaketfg Wrote: [ -> ]Anime is actually very successful when it comes to forums... you just need to have a few dedicated users to help you start out.

I only watch them, I'm not fanboyish enough to actually make it a success I think.
And finding those dedicated users is also a big amount of luck.
Although, if I could find a way to add videos/seasons to MyBB ( instead of threads and youtube mycode ) I'd be willing to give it a try.

I could do it about Animé and then provide Japanese courses by running Moodle alongside it, I am studying it myself as well and I enjoy it, so I could help people learn in the same fun way I did.
Also, new part of the family is japanese so to get in touch with them I need to practise a lot.

What annoys me of anime fans a lot is that they are so crazy about a few japanese terms and totally abuse them incorrectly, so by doing above I can also help that problem out of the world and actually help someone ( who knows, I might make another enthousiast ).

Would that be a good idea or is anime+jap a scenario which people who look at with suspicion.
I think i would do Jap + animie (In that order) There are thousands of anime sites out there. But i'd say a lot of people willing to join a japaneese forum would also be into anime.
(2011-10-13, 01:59 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I think i would do Jap + animie (In that order) There are thousands of anime sites out there. But i'd say a lot of people willing to join a japaneese forum would also be into anime.

Thanks for your advice.
Would you mind if I would PM you any questions I get along the way ?
I'll try to make a setup this weekend.
Yea sure, thanks for being one of the few people asking fiiiirst! (: