MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Log in using email address
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I apologise if this is in fact possible, I've been looking around for ways to do it but after reading through about 50 threads I don't think it is.. Anyway my idea is this:

Allow users to log in using either their username OR the email address they used to register.

I've found many times that when I sign up to a forum, unless I use the same username everywhere, I tend to forget which ones I used where.

This means that if a user on my Mybb forum leaves for a few days/weeks and comes back, but is unable to remember their username.. its going to be inconvenient. They probably just wont bother coming back.
PINS may solve your problem - not only for forums. I don't know if we can post totally off-topic links (this is a password safe, not anything to do with MyBB directly) but if you google download pins it's the second link.
@Rukbat ...what?

Anyways, as for logging in with an email address, it would require some intense core file edits.

Paul,

If you need to keep dozens of logins and passwords, a password safe is the answer. Using the same login (like your email address) and password on many different sites is a huge security breach.

As I said, my solution is totally off-topic to this whole site, but it's the solution I use.
(2011-10-13, 06:39 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]@Rukbat ...what?

Anyways, as for logging in with an email address, it would require some intense core file edits.

Not that intense... I posted the instructions fairly recently.
Here's the thread
http://community.mybb.com/thread-93822.html
Actually, I just added it as a tutorial
http://community.mybb.com/thread-105870.html
Dylan, I just looked at that tutorial. Shouldn't you remove the limit and check that only one record was returned? That's an old, and trivial, anti-injection check. If 2 or more records are returned it almost always means trouble.