MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: An Idea For Fighting The Spambots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
what about adding stop forum spam to it auto like you do with some plugins
(2011-10-25, 02:41 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]This is the best way to deal with SPAM imho.

Do you have any good recipes for someone at college? All i have is a george forman grill and a microwave Sad
I LOVE spam---three and four times a day plus snacks. I don't believe in sending it though--go to the store and get your own!

Direct from the can
Or the frying pan
You might say I'm a lover
Of a fresh can of spam.
(2011-10-28, 04:33 AM)typomaniac Wrote: [ -> ]I LOVE spam---three and four times a day plus snacks. I don't believe in sending it though--go to the store and get your own!

Direct from the can
Or the frying pan
You might say I'm a lover
Of a fresh can of spam.

You deserve rep for tha tpost.
I really don't understand how anyone can eat that stuff :O

It is reconstituted sludge...

Anyway, @OP, combatting spam is a little bit more complex than that Wink
Moderators defeat spammers. Acquire some.
Actually, what he suggested is a confirmed feature (honeypot captcha) in 1.6.5.
(2011-10-29, 12:29 AM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, what he suggested is a confirmed feature (honeypot captcha) in 1.6.5.

Yes, but these days many spammers are human, and as labrocca said, program's like xrumer would configured to avoid this within weeks
I was discussing this on the dev site. I originally said it would be a good idea to set it to a random string on installation, to make it almost impossible for a bot to know if it's a fake field or not (A good handful of bots fill in every field).

Chances are most users won't change it from 'email3', so as Tom said bots would learn not to fill it in.
(2011-10-29, 06:31 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]I was discussing this on the dev site. I originally said it would be a good idea to set it to a random string on installation, to make it almost impossible for a bot to know if it's a fake field or not (A good handful of bots fill in every field).

Chances are most users won't change it from 'email3', so as Tom said bots would learn not to fill it in.

I think its a good idea to have a random string.
Pages: 1 2 3