MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: An Idea For Fighting The Spambots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, maybe you have probably already seen something like this but it is something I use in web site forms in the fight against spam that I thought could be used in MYBB. I always include a field in the form but use css to hide it, i.e.;

<div class="invisible"><input type="text"name="policeimpersonator">

and then for the css file:

div.invisible{display:none;}

Then, in the script, if the field is filled out(spam bots tend to regard all fields as required, or so I'm told) I use something to the tune of:

if($policeimpersonater ne ""){print"You're under arrest";}

My apologies for the code being in perl as I know nothing of php but it is easy to get the point.

I've used it with good success for quite a while(usually adjust the error code to create a sense that the form was successfully submitted.
Just thought I would mention that because I was looking through your plugins and noticed the javascript plugin that does something similar.

I really like this board---just installed it and in the process of "decorating" it at the moment.

Blessings,
Dave
MyBB 1.6.5 has this included. Smile
This technique kinda works, it only blocks [true] bot registrations though.. human spam is the annoying stuff.
Would not be effective. Stuff like xrumer do a great job of knowing what defaults any script has for spam prevention. They force you to be dynamic and constantly evolve your own techniques.
(2011-10-19, 07:10 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Would not be effective. Stuff like xrumer do a great job of knowing what defaults any script has for spam prevention. They force you to be dynamic and constantly evolve your own techniques.

This.

Also your perl code is identical to what it would be for PHP except it would be

if($_POST['policeimpersonater'] != ""){print"You're under arrest";}
Wink they're very similar languages. And of course you could keep it as $policeimpersonater if you assign that to $_POST['policeimpersonater'] Wink
I just use this.

[Image: 6723.jpg]
(2011-10-19, 10:01 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]I just use this.

[Image: 6723.jpg]

Implying that post was not spam.
Maybe the Spam Ninja update later this year will cover some of the spam issues. Announced along with the MyBB 2.0 blog post.
Yeah, working with these php scripts I'm (slowly) figuring out how to deal with php.
(2011-10-19, 09:52 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-19, 07:10 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Would not be effective. Stuff like xrumer do a great job of knowing what defaults any script has for spam prevention. They force you to be dynamic and constantly evolve your own techniques.

This.

Also your perl code is identical to what it would be for PHP except it would be

if($_POST['policeimpersonater'] != ""){print"You're under arrest";}
Wink they're very similar languages. And of course you could keep it as $policeimpersonater if you assign that to $_POST['policeimpersonater'] Wink

This is the best way to deal with SPAM imho.

Pages: 1 2 3