MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] [On Mods Site] Post Via Email Beta Version 0.5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I looked into this and it was very complicated to do. I gave up Toungue

I can look into it again, though.
(2011-12-08, 02:57 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I looked into this and it was very complicated to do. I gave up Toungue

I can look into it again, though.

I am in the process of setting up a forum for a wilderness school with an existing user-base in the tens of thousands (if they choose to participate anyway!), and one of the reasons I chose myBB over vBulletin or phpBB was it was listed as having a reply-via-email plugin...
Well, I decided I liked it anyway, but when I saw the options for the email posting I was disappointed!

I understand the complexity of it, but do have a couple of ideas that may make it possible with a little less work.

1. Create a separate gmail account for each forum you want post-by-mail to be available for, and then have the plug-in check each of them. This avoids the (L)user from having to remember a code or specific name, they just email to [email protected], etc.

I know, that idea kinda sucks, but it might work for smaller forums, or special cases.

2. Have the plug-in modify the outgoing notification emails with a custom reply-to address, with the posting email address and thread code already inserted. Then as long as the (L)user doesn't change the address or code, it gets sent back to the posting email, and your original plug-in takes it from there and inserts it in the correct thread.

I think I like this idea the best, and it seem to me (a programmer only when I am forced to be! Smile that it shouldn't be TOO hard to make custom reply-to's on the outgoing emails.

You could also do something like make a "help" command available that would return an email with all the active threads listed, so a new post could be made through a mailto link.

Anyway, I hope you (or somebody) comes up with something similar to Yahoo Groups and Facebook's notifications ability to reply with a click.

Thank you for the work you have already done!
Ben~
Could anyone provide an update on whether reply by email plugin/functionality is now available or improved on what is in this post.
I believe lack of this function is major impediment to my members using my forum.
thank you
Pages: 1 2