MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Updaing from version 1.2.3 - huge jump possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm planning to update an old version 1.2.3 MyBB installation to the latest version. I've searched the forum but didn't find definitive answers.

a) is this possible at all?
b) what are possible issues other than theme changes?

Any pointers are appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
a) Of course. You can even upgrade from 1.0.x

b) None that I can think of, apart from plugins not working. An upgrade is supposed to go smoothly, but if you do encounter any issues we're here to help. Smile
[Wiki: Upgrading] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

See major point upgrades Smile
Do it localhost first and see how it goes. If it's a success with no issues then do it to your live site.
Thanks all for the responses, I'll give it a shot tomorrow!
If you aren't yet using UTF-8 it might be another issue.

If you encounter an issue with the encoding please contact me, some weeks ago I helped someone with non-english board to upgrade from 1.2.12, it was pretty complicated to solve and I couldn't find any help on the internet.
I've finished with a script that fetch all the data from the database row-by-row (converting the dump didn't worked), convert the encoding twice (involving 3 different encoding!) and insert to the new database (plus, there were tables without any primary key, how would you handle this? you can't process the whole table at once)
I'm glad to report that I've successfully done the update from 1.2.3 to 1.6.4 without any glitch. Only had to get a different theme (which was overdue anyway) and that was it.

Thanks all for the great info!