MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Would you be interested in this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would anybody here be interested (or see the appeal of) a site that acts in a similar way to the mybb version check. In that it alerts users to new versions of MyBB, and plugins.

The system would send out an email upon the release of a new plugin/new version. All users of this plugin would receive the email, as well as the download link for it.

The system would also run simple diagnostics on your site (CHMOD, server misconfig etc...). Every user would have a unique API key, which doubles as the encryption key for the data. The user would install a plugin (or upload a file) to their site, and enter their API key. My systme would then read the data and use it to alert the users.

Security:
As stated, the API key would be thier encyption key. I have a fair bit of experience within PHP and other languages in some cryptography, namely the TripleDES algorithm. This algorithm is used by banks and other orginizations for the transmission of sensitive data.

Who is this for:
Seasoned, experienced admins probably check their board for updates regularly. But thiscould really allow newbs to keep up with plugin releases, especially security updates.

/tldr version:
A site that emails users when a new plugin comes out. They only get the email if they have the plugin is installed. They system uses industry standard encryption. Good or bad idea?
Excellent idea, I'm sure tons of people will want it!

Though as a plugin developer, how exactly would we get your script to check if our plugins have updated? Would we have to have them free and public on MyBB Mods official site? Because I'd recommend you'd not do that, and just have some way for plugin devs to give you a link to their plugin version/files, that way devs can still make money off them.
Great idea. And a few suggestions from me.

Make an alert system, in Admin CP and in forum too, when admin(s) browse it. When a new plugin or MyBB update is available, it will show a notification like how we get PM notification.
(2011-10-18, 05:16 PM)fizz Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent idea, I'm sure tons of people will want it!

Though as a plugin developer, how exactly would we get your script to check if our plugins have updated? Would we have to have them free and public on MyBB Mods official site? Because I'd recommend you'd not do that, and just have some way for plugin devs to give you a link to their plugin version/files, that way devs can still make money off them.

That is one problem I have. I can easily get the mod version of the mod DB here at mybb, but adding external mod souces would be hard. Because that relies on the external source having some kind of Mod DB, which then brings about the issue of upkeep (plugin authoris not declaring new versions in their personal mod db).

To begin with it would be MyBB mod DB only, and maybe external mod databases later Smile
A suggestion: You could keep a database of non MyBB Mod plugins that authors could keep updated. Not much to it, and the updates would be up to the plugin authors.

It's good idea for those who don't know how to do it on their own, and that seems to be a large percentage of MyBB admins.
Well, I've already been thinking of ways for non mybb mod db plugins to be in the system. Smile
Would any developers/designers be interested in joining me on this? I already have a project going that requires a he'll of a lot of attention Toungue it would be nice to get a helping hand or two in on this. I'll be PMing 2 or 3 designers/developers tomorrow inviting them. The budget us about $120 for design and coding. I will do a lot of the main server side coding though Wink
It's a no from me, I don't care about any updates.
I'd use it. I often do not pay attention to my versions. Would be useful.