MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: alerts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Can we have alerts like IPB or Xenforo ???
That's a good way to triple your bandwidth usage.
(2011-10-19, 09:07 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]That's a good way to triple your bandwidth usage.

IMO not if it's only on a page load or someone clicks the alert button.

And I think it would be cool to have this in MyBB. Should really improve MyBB's status among the other software at least, while opening up a lot of possibilities for plugin developers.
i think there is no need for page load so it reduces bandwidth i suppose.....it would be better like xenforo if we have in mybb
If it checks every 2 minutes for a new message, and the user goes away from their pc for an hour, that is 30 requests and 30 or maybe even 60 queries wasted.
1/minute is nothing for a query and mybb 2.0.
i wish this is included
(2011-10-19, 09:23 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]If it checks every 2 minutes for a new message, and the user goes away from their pc for an hour, that is 30 requests and 30 or maybe even 60 queries wasted.

Why should it refresh by itself? As I said, if it only refreshed on a page load or when a user clicked the alert button, there shouldn't be any of those problems.
It it only checks on page loads doesn't that defeat the purpose? And, if you're clicking a button you could just refresh...
(2011-10-19, 09:37 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-19, 09:23 PM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]If it checks every 2 minutes for a new message, and the user goes away from their pc for an hour, that is 30 requests and 30 or maybe even 60 queries wasted.

Why should it refresh by itself? As I said, if it only refreshed on a page load or when a user clicked the alert button, there shouldn't be any of those problems.

i agree with lucas
(2011-10-19, 09:54 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It it only checks on page loads doesn't that defeat the purpose? And, if you're clicking a button you could just refresh...

Nope. It gives users a way to check their subscribed threads and such without visiting the usercp. Much quicker imo.
And it appeals to users.
Pages: 1 2 3 4