MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Proper Procedure? - Patched Plugin!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hoorah for alliterations! :-P

I had to patch up a seemingly forgotten plugin today - email notification on registration. Since I can imagine many customers wanting this feature I also uploaded a unified-diff to pastebin.

I'd be happy to hear comments & suggestions, in case I've not done things in the proper way. I'm not really looking to become a plugin-programmer or anything - but since the work's been done, one might as well do it right!
Since my patch & how-to is only visible to people visiting the reviews I would also like to know whether I should possibly upload it as a new plugin entirely - naturally giving credit to the original author Michael S.?
fine - please submit to mods section for approval ; of course give credit to original coder ...
What exactly has been changed? Only the removal of TABLE_PREFIX? If so, then please change the compatibility to "16*", making it compatible with all versions of mybb 1.6.x. I'm fairly certain the database functions have not been changed since the beginning of version 1.6 Wink
All you did was remove TABLE_PREFIX. Tbh, that really isn't noteworthy.

Simple fixes like these should be patched by the original author or freely by a member of the community. By freely, I mean including the plugin file without any references to the person fixing it. If you include any credits to yourself, it should be a simple comment at the top. In this code I'm pretty sure you added more characters of your name than you removed 'fixing' the plugin.

Not to be harsh or anything, I fully support the community becoming more active with the plugin world, but maybe you should check out the Requests section and create a simple plugin for someone there?
*sigh* .. nobody seems to have gotten the part where I do not want to become a plugin-programmer ;-P

Tom K.: thank you, that seems like a sensible comment/insight.

I guess I'll just leave things "as they are", the information is "out there" at least; thought maybe there was an established way for outdated plugins to be patched if the original author seems to have lost interest. Doesn't look like it.
(2011-10-29, 12:07 PM)flowtron Wrote: [ -> ]*sigh* .. nobody seems to have gotten the part where I do not want to become a plugin-programmer ;-P

Tom K.: thank you, that seems like a sensible comment/insight.

I guess I'll just leave things "as they are", the information is "out there" at least; thought maybe there was an established way for outdated plugins to be patched if the original author seems to have lost interest. Doesn't look like it.

I misread what you said about becoming a developer. Anyway, my point was that you filled up the file with your name a bunch of times, which seemed pointless. One note at the top saying "revised by flowtron" or whatever you prefer should be good enough.
I actually agree with flowtron. There should be a way for people to provide patches for plugins Smile