MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking for pre-launch advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - I've successfully setup a MyBB forum. I've added all of the plug-ins and categories/forums that I think it needs before I make it available/link to it for public use. I've also run a database backup. I'm interested in any advice people might have on what else to do or add before launching it to the public.
Thanks!
What is your forum about?

What types of users are you looking for?

What websites share the same content you are trying to associate with?

Do you have a staff or just yourself?
The cleaner your forum looks the better! Nice smooth line breaks, word spacing/placement and a good logo makes the site. Try to show it to a few people before you launch it, shoot for greatness. you want a "Wow, you really made this on your own?" reaction! Smile goodluck,

ps, if you want me to give you any tips or whatever send me a link to your site.
Create some users and practice moderating them.

Make forum rules.

Practice moving, closing, deleting threads and posts.

Create a moderator and login to see what a mod sees.

You may (or may not) want to modify moderator privileges.

You may want to change privileges for other user groups.

You may want to make some new user groups.

You may want to make some user promotions.

Just boring stuff like that. Wink
Thank you for all of your feedback! and sorry, I really thought I had included the URL in my original post: www.fitnessroots.com/forum/

Puppyite: I've tried some of those but I have to test making forum rules, making user groups and promotions. Great suggestions, thanks!

ToJ: I love the clean look too. Take a look - I'd love any other thoughts you might have....www.fitnessroots.com/forum/

Vapor: Great questions. If you have time, I'd love any content management feedback you might have...www.fitnessroots.com/forum/

Some answers to those Qs: Fitness Roots is a business concerned with fitness and nutrition. Our primary online goal is to sell workout DVDs targeting women ages 30-70, looking for the benefits of strength training with minimal motivation to do it without instruction. Right now I'm the primary admin with some support from the business owner. I should look into a few other comparable sites - good suggestion.
Another facet of forum launch is promoting! Be sure to have all your Facebook, Twitter and Youtube accounts created and ready to go! You can really generate a lot of traffic from social sites!
Took a look, it looks nice, but you'll see how over time it will change and shape to the best possible outcome!
Looks nice and clean, I haven't given it much more than cursory glance but the one thing that stuck out to my pedantic eyes was the fact that your forum titles aren't capitalised (although your sub-forums are).
  • Outdoor fitness -> Outdoor Fitness
  • Workout time of day -> Workout Time of Day
  • General fitness guidance -> General Fitness Guidance
Etc.