MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dammit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
If anyone noticed, I wasn't around for a few days.

That's because something unknown happened to my computer and it completely erased everything.

I've been trying for a week to get it back working but to no avail.

So I gotta reinstall an OS, which will probably Ubuntu Linux until I can get $100 for Windows XP Home.

Yep, this sucks.

Right now I'm on an old Compaq Presario with Windows 98. >_<

But yeah, since I am gonna be using Linux I need some suggestions an a few programs to get.

1. An FTP Program
2. A PHP Editor

And just anything that would help me be able to work on my websites. Smile

One thing I think is cool about Ubuntu is that it comes with an IRC Program, and Gaim, and Firefox. Big Grin

And a built-in Apache2 package.

So any help would be nice. Big Grin
For KDE, I think Quanta Plus is quite nice. But since you're using Ubuntu I'd assume you'd be using Gnome Confused
Yeah, I'm using Gnome. I'm used to it, I don't wanna get used to something new after I just got used to Gnome. >_<;
gftp is my favorite to use in linux for ftp

Quanta Plus is what I use for html - even Kwrite or other text editor works good for php

newegg.com usually has XP Home for about 80.00 - 85.00 on sale
anyone still use Vim Toungue
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:If anyone noticed, I wasn't around for a few days.

That's because something unknown happened to my computer and it completely erased everything.

I've been trying for a week to get it back working but to no avail.

So I gotta reinstall an OS, which will probably Ubuntu Linux until I can get $100 for Windows XP Home.

I'm really sorry to hear about that! Sad

Something similar happened to me a while back, and instead of re-installing an OS, I went to Best Buy and got a new hard drive. The GeekSquad guy recomended it because there was no way of knowing if the harddrive was at fault.

If your interested, they're having a really big sale on hard drives right now (no affiliate link):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...5388011277

I hope you get back on your feet soon! Smile
I did that, I got a new hard drive which is twice the size of my old one.

So now I got a 40 gig instead of a 20. Big Grin

I know it's not a lot nowadays but I got it for free so I can't complain. Big Grin

Although I now need tog et my CD Drive back from my friend because it is much better then the one I have now.

Whenever I try to install Ubuntu it freezes cuz it can't read the CD. Sad
I use gedit as my text editor. It highlights your code and makes it easier to read.
As for FTP, Nautilus does everything I need it to do.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:Whenever I try to install Ubuntu it freezes cuz it can't read the CD. Sad
Does the live CD work?
No, like I said, the CD Drive I have is really old.

It doesn't read the discs fast enough to get around the small scratches that are in the disc, I used the same disc to install Ubuntu for my sister and it worked fine on the old hard drive that got wiped.
If you are going to change to Linux and get all this software for it why not just stay with Linux?
Pages: 1 2 3 4