MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EDITED: Random post number
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'VE EDITED OP WITH REQUESTING LOWER REQUIREMENTS. IGNORE THE BELOW POSTS.

The usual post number (ie, most forums have it as first post in a thread is #1, second is #2, etc) corresponds with the post order in a thread but what faviouz did was instead make it so every time someone posts or reloads a thread a new RANDOM four digit number (unlinked) is generated. What I need, is for someone to go a step further and make it so the random four digit generated post number (at the top right hand corner of every post) stays the same (unlike now where a new number is generated every reload). Numbers are subject to repeat in the same thread (makes your work easier) - this obviously does not effect the users because this combination is not linked thus a specific post cannot be linked as mebes.net/thread#5525.

I'm looking to pay for this modification. Please contact me for the webmaster account on my forum.
(2011-10-23, 11:33 PM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ]the random four digit generated post number
and
Quote:stays the same
is a contradiction. A random number is - by definition - different almost every time. If it stays the same it's not random.

(2011-10-24, 03:31 AM)Rukbat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-10-23, 11:33 PM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ]the random four digit generated post number
and
is a contradiction. A random number is - by definition - different almost every time. If it stays the same it's not random.

If it stays the same after being randomly generated, it's considered random.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're doing, but if I can see some of your source I can probably make the alteration you want.
and

I need to read the entire sentence. It says "...stays the same (unlike now where a new number is generated every reload) " There's your answer.
If you need to refer, look at my site and see how it is right now, then you'll understand what I am talking about.
Right now a new four digit number is generated on every reload for ever post. I don't want this, I want it to generate once and stay the same for the post.
(2011-10-24, 03:35 AM)Masayoshi Wrote: [ -> ]
and

If it stays the same after being randomly generated, it's considered random.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're doing, but if I can see some of your source I can probably make the alteration you want.
He's trying to make a post system exactly like 4chan's, where whenever a user makes a post, that post is given a site-wide post number. The post number doesn't change when the page is reloaded and increments across every board on the site by 1. Mebes' site now apparently regenerates the post # every time the page is refreshed, which he doesn't want.
I don't think this would be too difficult to do, but I'm really bad at planning stuff out in my head so, I'm not positive. How much are you willing to pay?
(2011-10-31, 01:34 AM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think this would be too difficult to do, but I'm really bad at planning stuff out in my head so, I'm not positive. How much are you willing to pay?

PMed you. With the background you provided it's obviously best to pay you once you have a demo ready.
I have edited OP with lower standards.
Please reread it again.
I updated OP with less requirements.
So to clarify, your looking to unlink the post number, and then just display a random number which is the same for all posts within a thread.
For Example, every post in this thread has a post number of #4723

Im not sure why you need this, but lets just run with it.

What would you say if I said, why not just display the thread number where the current post number is?
Pages: 1 2