MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backup - Everything?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am currently running my Website on my dad's dedicated server he pays for. I am only currently 16 but i love creating websites and creating forums and that is the only space i can possibly currently run my sites.

I currently have a forum i am working on at www.mmogamer.co.uk, i've spent alot of time on it and have alot more to do.

I am currently applying for a couple jobs to get some money in, and the first thing i will work towards is buying my own VPS server to run my sites on. At the moment if i piss my dad off at any point, he just deletes my website, and no joke, it pisses me off.

I was wondering, is there any chance i could backup EVERYTHING? Literally everything, database files, images, themes, everything?

I am going to continue creating this forum but id like to back it up every now and again, so when i move to my real server which i pay for i can re-upload everything and start from where i was.

Cheers for the help lads
Copy all files to somewhere, then go into phpmyadmin and backup the database.
Ok, cheers.

If i was to then re-load the backed up files, would i just copy and paste the files into FTP and overwrite the existing ones?
Yes, that's correct.
(2011-10-26, 01:40 PM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently applying for a couple jobs to get some money in, and the first thing i will work towards is buying my own VPS server to run my sites on.

Unless you get massive amounts of traffic you can use shared hosting.
Depending on the size of your database, you may want to look into exporting your DB through SSH.
(2011-10-26, 02:12 PM)S.T.A.R Wrote: [ -> ]If i was to then re-load the backed up files, would i just copy and paste the files into FTP and overwrite the existing ones?
The MyBB files, yes. The database you upload to the site, open phpMyAdmin and import it.