MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mac: Here I come?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like many people, Windows has been the only operating system I have ever used for my primary computer. Because of the constant problems and issues that Windows seems to inevitably get (at least for me), I have decided to look into alternatives for my primary computer.

A couple years ago, I bought an Apple Powerbook (laptop) and I was amazed. Everything about the operating system just seemed to make sense to me. It was fast, efficient and didn't have nearly as many problems as Windows. It was also fun to use; with excellent graphics and a seamless presentation.

Because of my positive experience with Apple, I am strongly considering purchasing a brand new Apple iMac for my primary computer. After comparing both the 17 and 20 inch monitors, I decided to go with the 20:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/We...&nclm=iMac

I did some basic customizations online like adding a wireless keyboard and mouse (add $60), and adding the AppleCare Protection Plan (add $169). After the customizations, they gave me the price $1928.00 USD ($2,043.68 USD after taxes and shipping costs). Personally, I think that is very fair price.

Before commiting to Apple, I have a few questions. I know quite a few people that use Macs everyday, so I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out. Here are some of my questions:
  • Are there suitable FTP programs that can be used with a Mac? If so, what would you recommend?
  • Is it possible to install apache, php and mysql on a Mac so I can use localhost to test out scripts? Is there a program like xammp that works on a Mac?
  • What kind of text editor should I use for php files?
  • Will my latest version of Photoshop work fully on a Mac?
  • Is there anything else I should be aware of before commiting to a Mac? Price is really not a concern, I just want to make sure I am making the right purchase. Smile

Also, it would be really helpful if Mac users could post what kind of Mac they have and if it is suitable for a typical website owner.

Sorry for the winded thread! Toungue

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
I think macs come with an apache server installed
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/49

If your old computer isn't doing anything you might want to consider using that as your web server.