MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Recommended Books
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-10-28, 06:07 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Get anything Wiley. I learned most of what i know from Wiley books. They are the abosolute best brand of books you can buy. In my opinion. I haven't tried them for outside markup, but i'd assume their structure is the same. I just loved the structure of them.

They're OK... they also own the "For Dummies" line now (they didn't originally)... I still prefer Wrox and SAM's though Wink
I do have a few "For Dummies" books on my shelves though. And in my eBooks for programming I have a lot of Wiley stuff.
Personally Dylan, I like being babied through the book, and Wiley did that so well. If i saw something i didn't like, such as tables, i could skip it, and if i needed to reference it, the data for it would still be on future pages. They wrote the book very well.
(2011-10-28, 06:55 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Personally Dylan, I like being babied through the book, and Wiley did that so well. If i saw something i didn't like, such as tables, i could skip it, and if i needed to reference it, the data for it would still be on future pages. They wrote the book very well.

Yeah... I guess Wink

I don't have that issue though Toungue
You should see some of the math for the AI Class I'm taking lol.
~~snip~~
(2011-10-29, 02:34 AM)Alex H. Wrote: [ -> ]~~snip~~

Uh...you've been tarnishing your reputation recently. What's wrong with reading? Do you think anyone got anywhere in life without reading anything?
(2011-10-29, 02:34 AM)Alex H. Wrote: [ -> ]~~snip~~

>hurr durr reading
>hey why don't you go read some online tutorials

No. Although, one potential problem with books is outdatedness.
(2011-10-29, 03:26 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]No. Although, one potential problem with books is outdatedness.

Not so much. On average over the course of a single version change 80% or more of the information stays relevant.
The books somehow got confusing the one up there was right tutorials are better and joining in a community too. You’ll have the exchange of ideas with those who has the same work or interest.Shy
(2011-11-15, 01:39 AM)jhuliawhil Wrote: [ -> ]The books somehow got confusing the one up there was right tutorials are better and joining in a community too. You’ll have the exchange of ideas with those who has the same work or interest.Shy

Thats good for some people, and being in a community is great once you know the subject.. However, learning from web tuts has many downsides. One of them is that any idiot can post a web tut. That doesn't make it good. Quality books by written by professionals in the field and published by reputable houses are far preferable in that regard. Not to mention you don't have to search. What you need is all right there. Just find it via the index and thumb to the page. It is also far easier to have a book open for reference while you're writing code than it is to flip back and forth with your browser.
I personally recommend the Developer's Library books by Sams Publishing. I have three books from them and all three of them were well written. I have a fourth one on the way, and I'm quite confident it won't be a let down.

All the best,
Imad Jomaa.
Pages: 1 2 3