MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Beta build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
it highly beta bugs issue report bugs! ticket!

SQ/ Beta highly test on issues problem problem!

I doubt on highly team on more
This Tom is were i get confused. I'm a big open source advocate, and I really don't get why the development is closed off. If you guys are worried about "taking ideas" well that defy's the point of open source. The point is to take another's idea and build something greater off of it.
(2011-10-29, 01:06 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]This Tom is were i get confused. I'm a big open source advocate, and I really don't get why the development is closed off. If you guys are worried about "taking ideas" well that defy's the point of open source. The point is to take another's idea and build something greater off of it.

I guess at this point, anything could change. A beta should be released when there is a solid base for what the initial release will include.

The 1.6 series is still going strong. There will be quite a few more minor releases of 1.6 before 2.0 is even considered stable. The last thing we want to see is people installing an incomplete forum software and then complaining it's buggy or there are no themes for it.
They plan on adding it to the SVN and I imagine github (sorry if that's wrong I'm at work with a headache) but not until they have a good base from my understanding (so probalby like Alpha).
As a board owner, I will not move to 2.0 until I see the reaction of the whole community (5 to 8 months after the release of 2.0 final version) and see some decent themes and plugins for it, right now 1.6 is doing great, it has everything we could ever ask for...

But yeah I know that there will be many people (especially too young webmasters) who will pick up the alpha or beta version (buggy version), install it and then start complaining on whatever reason, or say "How can I downgrade my forum to 1.6".... bla bla bla...
I'm not saying have a release. I'm saying open the GIT for others. Maybe some can contribute random snippits. etc
(2011-10-29, 01:06 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]This Tom is were i get confused. I'm a big open source advocate, and I really don't get why the development is closed off. If you guys are worried about "taking ideas" well that defy's the point of open source. The point is to take another's idea and build something greater off of it.

Ultimately I'm not bothered if someone steals an idea. I am bothered about people actually having ideas to steal in the first place. There's no point whatsoever in giving out code that does not function, IMO.
(2011-10-30, 01:20 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]

Ultimately I'm not bothered if someone steals an idea. I am bothered about people actually having ideas to steal in the first place. There's no point whatsoever in giving out code that does not function, IMO.

But people should be able to openly contribute code though. Right now it seems fairly hard to do that.
You don't see phpBB 4 code, do you? Because projects like this aren't truly open source in the literal sense. When we're ready to release open source code you'll see it.
I just wanna try MyBB 2.0 out on my personal website and I can also help you sending statistics and help fixing bugs and errors!
Pages: 1 2 3