MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need help in converting vB db to myBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

i tried to search the forum but haven't found any luck. Sad

i need help in converting (merging) vB database to myBB. i still have an old database from vB (which i forgot, but i think it was 3.8) and i would like to convert to myBB. i followed the instruction from merge-system, but i always got these errors:

1. it cannot find forum.forumpermissions table, when i checked in phpmyadmin, i only found a table called forumpermission (without 's'). how do i deal with this?

2. if i skipped the step above, I would encounter error (?) with 'Polls'. when i clicked "Run", then all i got was blank screen.

3. if i skipped anything related to 'Polls', i came across another error, at the 'Attachment' section. the problem is the same as forumpermission. it said that cannot find forum.attachments, when all i have is a table with the name 'attachment' without 's'.

4 suppose i skipped all those errors, i got a running mybb forum, there are 20 forums but 3 of them are inaccessible while others are working fine, these 3 forum cannot be accessed and it only shows error 1064. but on the index page, the posts/threads count, and the latest topic are visible.

edit: for error no. 4, i am able to click the last post/thread but still not able to enter the rest of the mentioned forums.

i don't have any background in programming so please bear with me.

thanks in advance.
Please refer to:

[Wiki: Merge_System] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
[Wiki: Running_the_Merge_System] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
UTF-8 Conversion Issues
Attachment Issues
Common SQL Queries Post-Merge
Dev Tracker (Open Issues)
It seems like it may be an older creation or it's not converting it probably

Goto the links Dylan referred
i dunno if this is the best solution or not, but apparently it solved problems no. 1 and 4.

for prob #1, all i did was, create a copy of forumpermission table and named it forumpermissions, and inside the table, i also changed the forumpermissions to forumpermission (basically just create a copy and exchange the letter s). the process completed without an error.

and for prob #4, since i was able to access the latest post by clicking it, or by typing the url http://forums.domain.com/forumdisplay.php?tid=##, i created a new forum in mybb, and then use the Move/Copy Thread. luckily the forums with the problem are the ones that doesn't have too many topics so i can do it one by one.

not sure if those were good solutions, and i haven't found a solution for #2 and #3, but thanks for the links, i visited some of them prior to making this topic, but i'll re-read them. maybe i missed something. but the funny thing is, the new forum, somehow, is now working just fine.
#4 is probably related to needing to run the Recount & Rebuild tools in your Admin CP.

#2 is actually probably [Issue #1745]

#1 & #3 are odd, since I don't see why they would have changed table names in that manner during the 3.x series lifetime, however simple renames of the tables should work.

Please also be aware of [Issue #1757] as the most damaging outstanding issue for vB conversions.
for #4, i already did run Recount and Rebuild. but it gave me the screenshot. ^^;

and for #3, i haven't tried the same "method" as #1. i just skipped the process.

also, i did try 'just renaming' the table, but it didn't work. that's why i tried to create a copy. which worked. weird? since i know nothing about this stuff, i'm just happy that it worked without knowing the logical explanation. Big Grin

anyway, so far the forum is up and running. and i haven't spotted any problems. and hopefully there won't be. also thank you very much for the response. d^^b

so i guess it's, somehow, solved?