MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem with filtering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of the mods on the board that I belong to noticed that the profanity filter only filters the swear on the actual post. If you go and hit quote, the swear is right there. I think that might defeat the purpose of the filter somewhat. Maybe it should be stored in the database filter, or filtered the same way as the normal post. I think storing it in the DB would be the be solution.

EDIT: The problem with storing it in the database though, is that if you change how the swear word is blocked, or you add or delete certain ones from the list in the ACP.
Theres not really much we can do about this, because admins might also want to see the word that was blocked. Either way when you view the post it'll be sensored out
Yea, but then it only makes the censor half effective.
EDIT: It could also be done in permissions, where the admins retain the right to view the swears.
Wouldn't it be acceptable for the quote to be filtered before its spat out onto the new post page? So what if the asterisk don't change back to profanity when the filter is updated, its only a quote.
I guess, that is doable
That's what I was figuring on doing. Now that I realized that storing it in the database would make it permanent.
but does that matter for quotes. As long as they are similar to the original, I don't think so.
Well when a post is submitted with a quote in it with censored words, based on the current censors setup in the ACP you could convert the censored word into an uncensored word then store it in the database.

This would retain the word so that when changes are made in the ACP they are reflected even in quotes.
gizmoguy Wrote:Well when a post is submitted with a quote in it with censored words, based on the current censors setup in the ACP you could convert the censored word into an uncensored word then store it in the database.

This would retain the word so that when changes are made in the ACP they are reflected even in quotes.

what if there are two words that are the same in length? How would it tell the difference?
<censored-1>
Pages: 1 2