MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hosting clarification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've searched for this prior to making this post but just getting more confused. I've also read the stickies so if this question has been addressed please forgive I promise I have looked.

Brief background: I tried to install MyBB on godaddy, and daddy that was a no-go. So I watched a bunch of YT titorials and used the search function here and read many threads, so I decided I didn't want to pay GD outrageous fee to get c-panel and that my best move would be to point my DNS to a different server, so I started hunting for a new host.

This is the point of my confusion now. I know MyBB cannot officially or maybe even unofficially suggest a few hosts, and I have no problem with that but I don't want to make a fatal error - what I mean by that is I used my SE to find hosts that specialized in hosting MyBB forums, and I was looking at MyBBWebhosting & CreateMyBB. SO I came back here and used your SE to see what I could see about them. I'm glad I did.

I noticed where Create was a site that if I had moved my hosting there, y'all wouldn't have supported me if I ran into problems. So that's my basic question; is there a way I can make sure I don't choose a host that y'all don't like? I'm taking my time doing this so I don't make any time-consuming mistakes and I have to say this is very involved.

My forum will be a wood barter site for woodworkers who want to trade one species with someone else that has what they want and wants what the other guy has. Hence the name woodbarter.com (not published yet obviously). I moderated one of the largest woodworking sites on the net (for 7 years) until I just got too busy but I still post there and I've had hundreds of members after me to get this site up so they can start trading wood but it's more involved than I had imagined.

Still I'm committed to getting it done and doing it right. Sorry for the long post but I have read in numerous places here where y'all want details. Thank you all very much for this free forum software and the excellent free support I have seen here.

Regards, Kevin.

this might help : web hosts ...
We don't support CreateMyBB as they use a custom system which is based on MyBB. We can't support a system which we know nothing about.

The best hosting you can get is probably from host2x.com or polar-host.com
Thanks ranjani & Malcom. I had seen the thread about WHT but knew each poster wouldn't necessarily know whether or not y'all approved or not. This is what I was looking for thanks.
Well many users go with MyBBwebhost, shared wise I can recomend Dreamhost. I've had dealings with hostgator, and while they were good, they are a little slow to do things.

If you want premium hosting, go straight to a data centre. *Liquid Web comes to mind.
Since it will be a new forum, shared hosting should do for now that includes cPanel.

Here is something to shortlist the good hosts for you:
1) MDDHosting
2) Hawkhost
3) Stablehost
4) SpeedySparrow

Search for their reviews by typing in Google search:
site:webhostingtalk.com hostname review

Just replace "hostname" with the name of the host that you're searching a review for.
I spent some time over at WHT and on several of the host sites mentioned here and at WHT, and have decided to go with Hawk Host. They have an impeccable track record, and they have what one of the members over at WHT pointed out the host should have, which is "...a good upgrade path...".

As with here, I got several helpful replies and some were very in depth, but I think the above sums up my needs for now. Thanks for the replies and advice I really appreciate it.

Good luck with Hawkhost. They have a good reputation for years Smile