MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server Colocation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In the details in all auctions:
Quote:The blades are being sold as-is, non-working hardware, and any attempts to run the machine is up to the discretion of the bidder.
(2011-11-02, 08:11 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-02, 06:52 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I really see no reason why they won't work. Yes you can't run a wow realm from them, but some of the hardware is only a year or two old Confused

I'm sure most will work. If I'm reading the auctions correctly, they are just the blades though... so unless you have the actual bladeserver to stick them in...

(2011-11-02, 10:32 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to bid for one, but postage to the uk is like $130

IIRC they're selling the UK servers too, just under a different set (it's on the WoW site). I remember because this is the second round, and in the first they sold the UK equivalent for my server. IIRC it cost more to ship it here ($350) than the server ended up selling for. The NA one only costs $35 to ship, and I would guess the UK ones ship locally for about the same.
You can colo at colounlimited in Dallas for like 89 or 99 a month but its cheaper to just rent one from Hivelocity or Burst then it is to colo becuase even though your paying 89 a month if some hardware fails you have to pay a tech to replace it and pay for the part. Its up to you what you want to do but I would choose rent a low end server.
(2011-11-03, 12:33 AM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]In the details in all auctions:
Quote:The blades are being sold as-is, non-working hardware, and any attempts to run the machine is up to the discretion of the bidder.
(2011-11-02, 06:52 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]I really see no reason why they won't work. Yes you can't run a wow realm from them, but some of the hardware is only a year or two old Confused

I'm sure most will work. If I'm reading the auctions correctly, they are just the blades though... so unless you have the actual bladeserver to stick them in...
I think by that they mean you can't just plug it in and power it up. It's probably to stop n00bs buying them, then complaining when they can't use it as a gaming PC XD
They seem to have a few of each server blade, and at least on for every realm, so I think it's unlikely all of those blades died. If they did, they should probably focus on getting more reliable hardware Smile
I'm guessing the colocation would be about $120/month and the cost of the blade chassis is about $500. Since I don't know the exact make and model of the blade I can't tell you for sure.
I know it's an HP P-class server blade, but I can't remember much beyond that. I know I found it online somewhere, but CBA to find it right now.

@Detrition: Not to be rude, but telling me to rent runs completely contrary to the whole point of the idea in the first place. The idea was to run a WoW guild website on hardware once used for WoW. If anything, I'd buy multiple blades, colocate them all, and be the one doing the renting. Not that it'll ever happen, since I don't have the money to start a web host.
To summarize their auction details, the equipment was retired (in other words keeping up with the latest technology; replaced).

They're cased in and are being sold as memorabilia.
What you're saying is equivalent to buying an old baseball that's cased in, and then using it to play ball. Sure you can possibly do it, but why?
(2011-11-03, 07:30 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-03, 12:33 AM)Richard Wrote: [ -> ]In the details in all auctions:

I think by that they mean you can't just plug it in and power it up. It's probably to stop n00bs buying them, then complaining when they can't use it as a gaming PC XD
They seem to have a few of each server blade, and at least on for every realm, so I think it's unlikely all of those blades died. If they did, they should probably focus on getting more reliable hardware Smile

The answer is, why not? A baseball was meant to be played with, a server is meant to serve stuff. It's not like these are ancient hardware (in tech terms), and it's not like there's a shortage of WoW servers (there's 4 for each realm, a NA set and a EU set, and this is the second round of auctions). The only reason I can think of is with a baseball, if it's signed, you might wear off the signature. With a server, if the hardware actually fails, it still can still look cool while still being the original WoW hardware (which is what they're selling it as).

And again, I don't actually want to do this, I was just wondering if it would have been feasible.
Pages: 1 2