MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Choosing the right software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am very new to creating forums so I was looking for some general help. I have a domain and a hosting account and now I want to create a forum for people to post stories and others to comment on them. I was originally directed to WordPress, but that (at least to me) is pretty much a personal blog environment, not interactive like a forum would be. I have been pointed in a lot of different directions: SMF, phpBB, FUDForum, Vanilla, FluxBB and of course, MyBB. I want to be able to customize the environment including my own page header graphics, colors, etc., as well as integration with Facebook. I also need search engines to find me!

I know most (if not all) of you are MyBB users, but I was hoping to get some real unbiased opinions and directions. Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much . . .
Well, this is the MyBB Community Forums, so yes, most people will recommend you to stick with MyBB. Not just because they're hardcore fanboys, but also because MyBB is really good software. It's fast, secure, it comes with a very organized and easy to use back-end, it can be easily extended and customized and we have a great community and documentation behind us.

There are a couple of plugins that will allow for Facebook / Twitter login integration, and search engines shouldn't have a problem finding you - especially if you install Google SEO (top-notch plugin, follows Google's own recommendations).

Not convinced yet? Have a look at some important websites that are running MyBB. Surely MyBB must be good if such big websites are using it, right? Take Hackforums as an example. It's literally the biggest hacking forum on the web, and even though skids are constantly trying to target it, MyBB's security kicks their lime.
Thanks, Fabio.