MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF vs MyBB - large forum - lighweight?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!
Right now im using SMF 2.0.1 (no mods) as my board engine.
I have:
~30 000 users
~300 000 posts
~150 online average

And my hosting site likes to suspend my site for "resource abuse".
Will MyBB be more lightweight?
Or should I search for other board engine?

Best Regards
Is MyBB more lightweight than SMF? Probably. I don't have any stats off-hand, but the SMF package is considerably larger than MyBB's (2.5MB versus 1.7MB). Ultimately though, the server is what will make a difference.

If it helps, http://hackforums.net/ runs perfectly fine on MyBB and it's much much bigger.
MyBB can handle large boards, tho, if your visitors number is increasing, you can not escape the fact that you need a VPS at least to handle them
(2011-11-02, 07:17 PM)majzok Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!
Right now im using SMF 2.0.1 (no mods) as my board engine.
I have:
~30 000 users
~300 000 posts
~150 online average

And my hosting site likes to suspend my site for "resource abuse".
Will MyBB be more lightweight?
Or should I search for other board engine?

Best Regards

In addition to switching software (which we're all going to say you should), you should consider finding another host. I've used SMF, heck I'm still a member of 2 forums that use it. I hate it both from the Admin side and from the User side. I most especially hate how it lumps PMs together and displays them all. It makes me sick.

(2011-11-02, 07:45 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB can handle large boards, tho, if your visitors number is increasing, you can not escape the fact that you need a VPS at least to handle them

While another host sounds like its needed, the VPS mentioned here is also an option.

One option would be to do a test conversion and let your users test the waters with MyBB and see if they like it better.
Can You please help me with VPS?

Will this be enough?
HDD: 35 GB SAS (RAID 10)
MAX CPU: ~2 GHZ
RAM: 2 GB
RAM (BURST): 3 GB
IN/OUT CONNECTION: 100/100 MBIT
What are your current hosting specs?
The VPS; Yes, that will host a MyBB forum of that size fine. But you will need to scale soon depending on your growth rate.

I'd recomened getting a VPS host that can scale you fairly easily.

MyBB vs SMF; From what I'm told from MyBB and SMF (And PHPBB Users) that MyBB currently runs the slowest. I believe one issue brought up in our convorsation was caching (After he created a different caching system it outpreformed the others)
(2011-11-02, 08:19 PM)majzok Wrote: [ -> ]Can You please help me with VPS?

Will this be enough?
HDD: 35 GB SAS (RAID 10)
MAX CPU: ~2 GHZ
RAM: 2 GB
RAM (BURST): 3 GB
IN/OUT CONNECTION: 100/100 MBIT

from your stats mention above.
that's spec is enough.
MyBB without additional Mod is very-very light Wink
But, after getting 500,000 post. try to tweaking your CNF and add RAM (if possible).

As my experience.
500,000 posts give the mysql buffer at least twice (1GB)
and the rest 1GB is for your OS. Dont install cpanel or something like that to your VPS. Use the other lightweight one. Some server provider have their own panel. use it.
(2011-11-02, 08:26 PM)Wiz01 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your current hosting specs?
Im currently using t35.com Business Hosting:
http://www.t35hosting.com/paid-web-hosting/

Thanks for all the answers!
(2011-11-02, 07:17 PM)majzok Wrote: [ -> ]~150 online average
In what period? An hour?
You ultimately need to measure in concurrent connections, though this may be difficult for shared hosting.
Still, I'm surprised a shared host would allow you to use so much resources, assuming typical activity on a forum of that size.

Personally, I don't recommend switching software willy nilly, despite what people may say here. There can be lots of niggles here and there (like old links not working any more, customisations breaking etc) so you really need to think whether or not it's worthwhile.

(2011-11-02, 07:26 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]the SMF package is considerably larger than MyBB's (2.5MB versus 1.7MB)
What sort of comparison is that?
Hell, I can get different package sizes by using different levels of compression.
Pages: 1 2