MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone actually make any money from their forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It is said that it is very difficult to make cash from a forum compared to a website. Anyone make a monthly income from their forum?
You can make thousands if you have the experience and time. Subscriptions for hidden content, more features, etc... can gain a substantial revenue. Advertising can also work but it depends on the advertiser most of the time.

To be honest, you should really concentrate on SEO, content, and making your forum popular before you even consider putting ads up. Money isn't everything.
(2011-11-04, 05:49 AM)Malcolm. Wrote: [ -> ]You can make thousands if you have the experience and time. Subscriptions for hidden content, more features, etc... can gain a substantial revenue. Advertising can also work but it depends on the advertiser most of the time.

To be honest, you should really concentrate on SEO, content, and making your forum popular before you even consider putting ads up. Money isn't everything.

well said Smile
If i have a scanning glass like in James Bond movies, i would sneak into our Big board members bank accounts. Toungue

I would be able to answer this question properly then.
I know Labrocca is a freelance, and I believe he said he won't divulge his monthly profit, but IIRC he said it puts dinner on the table. Thinking of it, it isn't too hard theoreticly, after you have a userbase, monitization couldn't be too hard.
Don't start a forum if you just want to make money out of it. Monetize your forum if you want to cut down on your costs such as hosting.
(2011-11-04, 07:49 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I know Labrocca is a freelance, and I believe he said he won't divulge his monthly profit, but IIRC he said it puts dinner on the table. Thinking of it, it isn't too hard theoreticly, after you have a userbase, monitization couldn't be too hard.

Labrocca is earning more then 2000 $ in a month through his big forum hackforums.net
More then 50 people are buying a paid membership in a month, a paid membership costs 20$.

And all those ads,..

But he have to pay so much for hosting :$

I had a forum a year ago.. i earned around 5 $ in a month through ads ^^
(2011-11-04, 09:13 AM)The Stage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-11-04, 07:49 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]I know Labrocca is a freelance, and I believe he said he won't divulge his monthly profit, but IIRC he said it puts dinner on the table. Thinking of it, it isn't too hard theoreticly, after you have a userbase, monitization couldn't be too hard.

Labrocca is earning more then 2000 $ in a month through his big forum hackforums.net
More then 50 people are buying a paid membership in a month, a paid membership costs 20$.

And all those ads,..

But he have to pay so much for hosting :$

I had a forum a year ago.. i earned around 5 $ in a month through ads ^^

Yeah, he may make $2000 a month, but he also runs at least 4 dedicated servers, all of which ar eprobably colocated, and all of which are probably pretty expensive. In the end he probably doesn't earn that much from it. However, I have the sneaking suspicious that Labrocca is just a modest guy. Even if I was his best friend, I don't think he would fully divulge everything to me. He's just that kind of guy.
But the money he earn with his forums is enough, because he don't work in his real life.
He just works in his forums. Big Grin
He works at his home.
If you want to earn money on the internet, start a scam.
Make sure it's only in small amounts so that people don't chase you up on it.

The average earnings to effort ratio is probably much higher than you'll get from a typical forum.
Just make sure you don't get too greedy.
Pages: 1 2